How to dive George Vancouver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfigaro

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a small offshore boat and am interested in diving the George Vancouver - 9nm S, Freeport. Has anyone done this? Is there a mooring? Are there any especially dangerous conditions (current, etc...)?

I've not dove there, but this is not the best time of year for gulf diving. As far as dangerous conditions, I think you can expect quite a bit of fishing line and more than likely low vis.

You might be able to find more information on CHUM or BAD.

PM sent.

I have a small offshore boat and am interested in diving the George Vancouver - 9nm S, Freeport. Has anyone done this? Is there a mooring? Are there any especially dangerous conditions (current, etc...)?

There is a bouy marking the Vancouver but its not right on the wreck its about 4' away
The wreck is between that bouy and the platform that you will see as you pull up.
We usually pull upcurrent drop an anchor and let the boat drift back to the bouy.
28 47 606
95 20 888

Visability will probably not be good until next summer.

Randy

I did a multibeam survey of the Vancouver last weekend. The current was ripping enough to pick the Spree up and move it about 25 feet sideways as we moved over the wreck. Be extra careful you don't get blown away. You can see the water boiling up around the wreck as you get near it.

Frank

I did a multibeam survey of the Vancouver last weekend. The current was ripping enough to pick the Spree up and move it about 25 feet sideways as we moved over the wreck. Be extra careful you don't get blown away. You can see the water boiling up around the wreck as you get near it.

Frank

Sorry to jump this one, but Frank, when is the Spree heading to Florida???

Thanks to all for the useful info. Is there a particular wind direction I should look for so I can make a quick run out there when conditions merit. In particular I am thinking about the effect of wind on the current.

Thanks to all for the useful info. Is there a particular wind direction I should look for so I can make a quick run out there when conditions merit. In particular I am thinking about the effect of wind on the current.

what size boat are you running??.....

It's not so much the dirrection of the seas as it is what the seas have been over the last few days and what the tides have been. This time of year you need to pay close attention to the fronts.

Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom