how to clean/wash thinsulate undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thinsulate is a common insulation used throughout the outdoor recreational industry. From that background, I would offer the following for any synthetic insulation (thinsulate being one of the name brands on the market):

Avoid washing in the first place! Keep your undergarment "clean" as long as possible by using a base layer underneath. This lengthens the time between washings, which can decrease the garments loft.
When necessary, hand-washing is the preferred method of washing all synthetic garment fills. Use a mild soap, as detergents can leave a residue. Never dry-clean your suit.
Make sure your suit is completely dry before storing. If you're not diving for awhile, hangor store it flat. Don't fold it tightly, as this will break down the insulation.

...and I thought I was being so good hanging mine to dry (after hand wash/soak in tub). Thanks for the info.

-Ben

I follow the DUI method, which was told to me by Dick Long at a Dog Days. In fact I took some flack on these boards for that suggestion the last time it was asked. Go figure.

No, don't put it in the sun, the UV deteriorates the synthetics. I hang them to dry in my basement laundry room where I have a dehumidifier set up. Not on hangers though, 3 inch PVC and I lay everything over to dry, suit after it's been rinsed and the undergarments after they are cleaned, if needed. If you do wash, tech wash or woolite, they are both very good, everything on a delicate cycle in cold water , and I usually cut the amount of soap by the recommended half. After dry they get thrown in the dryer on the lowest heat setting for about 15 minutes to get all the creases out. All of my undergarments I've been using for years when I ice climb, they're all polypro and windbloc fleece. Just started dry suit diving, really getting my monies worth out of this stuff and it's still in great shape.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom