how to clean/wash thinsulate undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand the key to washing Thinsulate and similar fabrics is to get any residue out of the fabric to ensure the insulation properties are retained. I typically wash my Thinsulate stuff in a machine on gentle cycle with cool water and a mild detergent (like Woolite), and then run an additonal rinse cycle. I then put it in the dryer briefly on a cool fluff cycle for 5-10 minutes, then remove and let hang dry in air. It's done a good job of removing odors and seems to keep the insulating properties.

good tips on the washing, i let my undergarments air dry though when i can.

Get a bottle of Sport Wash laundry detergent. It wipes out odors & rinses completely. You can get it at Walmart in the sport goods dept, a bottle good for 38 full loads costs about $6 or so. Should be able to get it at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops as well. It's cheap & works great.

Yeah, my Bare Hi-Loft says... Machine wash cold then air dry.

Taken from here: http://www.dui-online.com/tech_insulation_strategies.htm

"If your DiveWear begins to have a strong odor it is because your body gives off not only water but oil. The oil contains bacteria which gets inside the DiveWear and grows creating the odor. We normally treat this by washing the DiveWear in a washing machine. Fill the washing machine with water, force the DiveWear into the water, then add a cup of bleach or white vinegar and run it through at least one wash cycle. DO NOT HANG IT UP TO DRY. Lay it flat and allow it to dry naturally - not in a dryer. The bleach or vinegar will kill all the bacteria and eliminate the odor."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom