How to Chose a Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MissBubbles205

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good Morning Divers!

I am looking to purchase my first wetsuit. My local quarry's website states the water is between 52-54 degress at Dive Alabama. I am guessing I would need a 7mm wetsuit? Is this correct? Does anyone have any brand recomendations? I am looking for good quality without breaking the bank.

Also, I am confused with the sizings.. The 8 seems to fit my measurements to a T.. until I get to weight. I am about 135 and the 8 says for 120 pounds. Should I go up to a 10?

Cold tolerance is an individual thing, but for me low 50's requires a good 7mm at minimum - one with good seals. My current suit is a Neosport X-Span and does NOT meet these requirements. I can dive in low 50's with it but I'm definitely not warm.

Regarding sizing, I'd think the actual measurements provide a better guide than the weight recommendation (it did for me with my Bare 3mm) but the best way to know is of course to try both of them. If that's not possible, such as when ordering online, make sure you order from somewhere with a good exchange policy.

If you indicate which suit you are looking at, people can give their feedback on it and possibly sizing tips.

CT Sean covered it pretty well, in those temps I'd be too cold even in a 2 piece hooded FJ. Trying is is definitely the way to go if you can its the only way to ensure a good fit and a good fit is essential, if it doesn't fit properly it won't matter how thick the neoprene is. Good luck.

in 50 degree temps, you would not find me diving there with out a dry suit, hood, and gloves. your going to loose a lot of body heat quick in those temps, be very carefully.

as for sizing of wetsuit and dry suits go by measurements, the weight means nothing it's all about proper fit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My local quarry's website states the water is between 52-54 degrees at Dive Alabama.

That is accurate. I usually record 53 degrees at depth. I only dive there in a dry suit ( DUI ), but I have met folks that perform multiple dives in a 7mm.

You see students there in thinner wetsuits, but they are obviously cold and not in the water long.

Cold tolerance is an individual thing, but for me low 50's requires a good 7mm at minimum - one with good seals. My current suit is a Neosport X-Span and does NOT meet these requirements. I can dive in low 50's with it but I'm definitely not warm.

Regarding sizing, I'd think the actual measurements provide a better guide than the weight recommendation (it did for me with my Bare 3mm) but the best way to know is of course to try both of them. If that's not possible, such as when ordering online, make sure you order from somewhere with a good exchange policy.

If you indicate which suit you are looking at, people can give their feedback on it and possibly sizing tips.

Thanks for sharing.. I seem to like the Bare ones.. I was looking to buy a 5 or 7mm (originally by Henderson) and found a 5/4mm on sale by BARE on LeisurePro so I got it since it was a good deal.. The mesurements all seem to be perfect actually with the BAREs. I didn't realize that all brands have different sizing guides. Luckily their exchange policy seems to be great when it comes to sizes. I guess we will find out..

---------- Post added June 4th, 2013 at 03:19 PM ----------

I begining to think my local dive sites website is incorrect.. Im not sure what mm my wetsuit was for my open water dives there.. But I will say it was October and whatever wetsuit I had on kept me too warm.. I was soo ready to get out bc my body was soo hott.. Maybe I had a good adrenaline rush going on.. lol.. Idk.. But I def want to be as comfy as possibly while diving.. Guess I'll just have to buy and try and hope I luck up with one that does well for me.

Not all wetsuits are created equal. Hendersons are used by a lot of pro's ( me included) because the seams are glued. this prevent any water transfer and keeps you much warmer than the ones that don't have the glued seams.

I'll dive my 8mil Henderson in the winter and my friend will dive there 7mil (other brand). their teeth will be chattering as soon as we get out and I'll have steam rolling off me.

be aware that sometimes the more expensive suit may be worth it. Also realize that a couple of trips to 100' and the suit will compress down and loose its thermal capabilities.

Not all wetsuits are created equal. Hendersons are used by a lot of pro's ( me included) because the seams are glued. this prevent any water transfer and keeps you much warmer than the ones that don't have the glued seams.

I'll dive my 8mil Henderson in the winter and my friend will dive there 7mil (other brand). their teeth will be chattering as soon as we get out and I'll have steam rolling off me.

be aware that sometimes the more expensive suit may be worth it. Also realize that a couple of trips to 100' and the suit will compress down and loose its thermal capabilities.

I have had quality suits down to 100 feet, many dozens of times before I see any compression and loss of insulation.

Also all thick wetsuit seams are glued.

Lastly the worst suit I ever owned was a Henderson Thermo prene or something.. got totally compressed in 3 days of spearfishing trip.. had to return it...

I would be in a better position if you can provide pics of yourself in a swimsuit. I would be able to better understand your requirements and determine the right fit.

Thanks for sharing.. I seem to like the Bare ones.. I was looking to buy a 5 or 7mm (originally by Henderson) and found a 5/4mm on sale by BARE on LeisurePro so I got it since it was a good deal.. The mesurements all seem to be perfect actually with the BAREs. I didn't realize that all brands have different sizing guides. Luckily their exchange policy seems to be great when it comes to sizes. I guess we will find out..

I begining to think my local dive sites website is incorrect.. Im not sure what mm my wetsuit was for my open water dives there.. But I will say it was October and whatever wetsuit I had on kept me too warm.. I was soo ready to get out bc my body was soo hott.. Maybe I had a good adrenaline rush going on.. lol.. Idk.. But I def want to be as comfy as possibly while diving.. Guess I'll just have to buy and try and hope I luck up with one that does well for me.

Having used it, I can vouch for Leisure Pro's exchange policy - very convenient. Though it can be a pain shipping things back and forth. Bare has a new "full" 7mm Velocity suit for this year (previous versions are 7/6) that I'll be considering when I finally suck it up and replace my current suit. I currently have their 3/2 Velocity and the fit couldn't get much better.

I can't make any comments about your local temps but I will say that you were likely "all fired up" during your checkout dives (assuming that's what you're talking about). I have found that the more experience I get diving, the cooler I get as I am much more relaxed and use much less energy compared to my first several dives.

Back
Top Bottom