How to choose the right torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I have not dove it yet...but dang, this light is bright and has a far throw! I think it should work well :)

Dive report coming soon....until then, others who have used it will have to give their $0.02.

OrcaTorch D520/D560 Light Package

Thought I had posted the link. My mistake. Thoughts on this combo?

I don’t really like either one of those, so I definitely would not buy them as a package. I would spend another 30 (?) bucks or so and get 2 of the Xtar D26 Whale lights.

Hello guys... I will bump this discussion provided I didn't buy the torch yet and I kept the old one I'm not completely satisfied with
Do you think there are now better options or should I still consider as a first choice the The Xtar D26 Whale (XM-L2 light) or the The Xtar D26 1600 (XHP35 light)?
If this Xtar is still to be considered as a first option, would you suggest XM-L2 light or XHP35 light type?
Thanks

Get the D26 Whale. I like my 1600, but the damn thing turns itself on ALL the time. If I have it clipped off to a chest d ring, I can almost guarantee it'll be on at the end of the dive.

Because of this, I use it as my primary (just open rec diving) and I use the D26 as a backup always clipped....but it never turns on by itself because I keep it locked.

Either one of these lights (in my opinion) would be great backup (secondary?) light if you wanted to go through more classes. They really are well made.

I get 2 or 3 dives out of 1 charge (although I've never tried it on a 4th)...I just charge before the next day diving.

Hope that helps.

Partially quoting myself from a similar thread...

There's a big factory in Shenzhen that turns out tens of thousands of good quality all-metal dive torches that get resold under a bunch of different names. Resellers can specify certain options, but there are only a couple of basic variations.

IMO, the basic body you want is the one that uses 3 o-rings, a rechargeable single 18650 battery, and a Cree XM-L2 LED. They are usually advertised as 1000 lumens, although DGX rates their version at a more realistic 600. It's really bright, so much so that I'd look for versions with one or two low power settings. On night dives in clear water, I don't use like to use the high setting for anything other than signalling.

I'm not sure who retails these in Italy. In the US, they've been sold under names like Volador, Brinyte, Securitying and Nitesun. And of course, the DGX600 lights. I also think the Mako light from the first page of this thread is one of these.

I recommend looking for one that has a forward mounted button (rather than twist or tail mounted), a battery indicator which is usually a ring around the button that turns from green to red, and multiple light levels.

I attach a bolt snap and carry it clipped off to the right chest d-ring unless it is in my hand. Instead of a soft handle or lanyard, I wear one of those rubber cause bracelets and clip on to it when I take it off the d-ring. On a night dive, I clip a second one into the left chest d-ring.

Edit: found a picture
full?d=1573088609.jpg

Ok this is what all the Lights section is about...But my question is more specific. How do you choose the right torch for a specific usage?
For example, I want to buy a new torch. I will need it especially for lake diving, occasionally for sea dives and also night dives both in the sea and in the lake. I don’t do wrecks unless they are very easy. I don’t do cave diving unless again very wide caves (so it’s just ‘plain’ non cave diving). Lake waters are very muddy compared to the sea. One day I would like to start technical diving but right now I am PADI AOW + deep - 40 meters. If possible I would avoid getting a 1000 euros torch since I want to invest more in the drysuit
Thanks

The hard part of a torch is keeping it lite underwater.

flaming-torch-at-night-picture-id187015059?s=2048x2048.jpg

It was originally an "electric torch" in the UK. If it had been invented today, it would be an e-torch (or etorch for those who prefer email over the proper e-mail). :)

"Flashlight" was used in the US because the early models could not handle continuous activation.

Partially quoting myself from a similar thread...

There's a big factory in Shenzhen that turns out tens of thousands of good quality all-metal dive torches that get resold under a bunch of different names. Resellers can specify certain options, but there are only a couple of basic variations.

IMO, the basic body you want is the one that uses 3 o-rings, a rechargeable single 18650 battery, and a Cree XM-L2 LED. They are usually advertised as 1000 lumens, although DGX rates their version at a more realistic 600. It's really bright, so much so that I'd look for versions with one or two low power settings. On night dives in clear water, I don't use like to use the high setting for anything other than signalling.

I'm not sure who retails these in Italy. In the US, they've been sold under names like Volador, Brinyte, Securitying and Nitesun. And of course, the DGX600 lights. I also think the Mako light from the first page of this thread is one of these.

I recommend looking for one that has a forward mounted button (rather than twist or tail mounted), a battery indicator which is usually a ring around the button that turns from green to red, and multiple light levels.

I attach a bolt snap and carry it clipped off to the right chest d-ring unless it is in my hand. Instead of a soft handle or lanyard, I wear one of those rubber cause bracelets and clip on to it when I take it off the d-ring. On a night dive, I clip a second one into the left chest d-ring.

Edit: found a picture
View attachment 588606

Why use an 18650 when you can use a 26650? Honest question.

The D26 can use both, has 4 settings, 2 or 3 o rings, a color changing indicator light, and a manual lock.

I also own a DGX light. (Actually, now that I think about it I have a review somewhere on here of the DGX, the D26, and the D26 1600). DGX is a nice light, but in my opinion the D26 is a cheaper, brighter, better light. I think I paid $46 haggling on ebay (no battery or charger, but I already had those).

Also, if that's your picture I would super glue your knot and wrap a zip tie around it. I have lost a light and now tie, glue, zip tie just in case, lol.

Why not re-invent a vari-focus 75W torch/light that can be dialed from a laser-like spot to an enormous soft flood? OMS Phantom (incandescent version). Years gone by...

Being a night critter, a good light is everything to me.
lights.jpg
Do you think the adjustable angle beam dive light useful?

I remain unimpressed with today's offerings other than their burn-time.

Back
Top Bottom