How to choose the right torch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gralmarine KX Narrow
Fa&mi Alu Rocket 3000
Gibielle Triton 6 led
Mares Rz 15/20
Tillytec Maxi Uni

Some of them maybe not marketed in the USA

Did you read stuartv description? I'm not saying that's the end all be all, but it's obvious that many of us have gone down the same road you're going down. I believe the Brynyte lights use an older technology, so not as bright (I could be wrong, it's been a while). I can't imagine getting a great dive light that does everything you want for less than $50 USD (as I posted).

I guess I'm just trying to figure what more could you want? Lots of responses here with tons of experience. The light I mentioned is so bright I drive my wife crazy with it. I can see my entire neighbors house from across the field, which is a good 300 yards away....now given neither is exactly a scientific study and has nothing to do with underwater, but others have recommended the same light. It's cheap, well made, and crazy bright. I don't think I've had a use for "turbo" mode on it yet (except to piss my wife off.....then it's very handy).

p.s. - I have nothing to gain by pushing you towards that light. I don't work for them, I don't sell them, I just know you wouldn't be disappointed.

Well, I ordered the Star D26 Whale...they sent the wrong light, a D06, and over a week later...are giving me a refund...

Sooooo, I have reordered a D26 1600...hoping it arrives before my planned dive this sat :)

I find the following important:
- Push button (not rotate head), ideally towards the front of the light, not on the back
- ideally battery indicator, Sealife does a good one surrounding the push button
- Compact size

I carry a 900 lumens with various output settings as a primary with 18650's, and a 450 lumens more compact singe output AAA battery secondary on every dive.

Some others are gathering dust somewhere simply because they are too big, for little to no extra benefit.

Not a fan of the goodman handle, with light going all over the place depending on what people are doing with their hands. I keep one in my pocket and the other snapped to the left shoulder D ring, and I use it with a bungee loop so it can hang off my wrist if intermittently using, until it is time to clip it away again.

Well, the right light finally arrived...the XTAR D26...WOW!! Lots of light, excellent throw, and very compact size.

I cannot wait to dive it!!

Great info, everyone....and thank you again, stuartv!! Next, up a dive report about how the light dove :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom