How to choose a Cave Instructor - My opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lead_carrier:
I actually found out, one instructor, that came very highly recommended talked a good game, taught an excellent class, according to his students, but in overhearing some comments he made, he didn't like anyone over 45 or ladies taking his class, and they "PLAYED HELL PASSING GETTING PAST ME". I definitely will have to find someone else.

OH BOY !!!!

Well , I guess that counts me out then... :06:

Jean

Lead_carrier:
hang discreetly around when everyone is outside doing line drills, water work, predive and post dive briefings.
This is good advice, I think.
As to much of the rest... well, I've seen excellent instructors who are brand spanking new as instructors, and the absolute worst instructors I've ever seen have been burned out ones who could claim to be "long-time experienced" instructors. (I've seen a lot of instructors - in my former life one of my jobs was to evaluate the Navy's basic jet flight instructors) The very best I've seen have combined experience in teaching (this is distinct from "time as an instructor in this course" - a long-time mentor who decides to get an instructor rating so he can pass along his knowledge and experience in the form of a c-card as well, for example) with a passion for excellence in the subject and a passion for sharing their knowledge with their students.
Bottom line - a great instructor may be a great instructor from his/her very first class, so don't eliminate one just for that. Talk to them. If you have an opportunity to watch them in action do it. And a sorry instructor may be able to claim longevity and great experience. Again, talk to them, watch them if you can.
Rick

I my opinion everyone as a valid point. You can never ask to many question and determing the reason one wants to cave dive is an importain question. One must look at the reason why and the danger they face when cave diving. All of these went through my mind and I asked many questions. When all was said and done I ended up having Jim as my instructor. And everyone in our class did not pass. My advive is listen closely and ask alot of question. The only dumb question is the unasked one.

Speaking as a cavern diver working towards intro cave and beyond. I've got to say, great reading for a newbie, thanks for the post.
-BUD-

If Jim's post on choosing a cave instructor makes good sense to you, as it did to me, then I can highly recommend him. I completed an Apprentice/Full Cave combo course Wednesday with him. He walks the walk and talks the talk. Calm, safe, thorough instruction, Jim brings a lot of experience to the table, and will show you different cave systems as circumstances allow. If you're seeking technical instruction, check out his web site http://www.cavediveflorida.com/ , talk to him, and enjoy a great learning experience.:)

I agree too with selecting Jim Wyatt as an instructor. He has a tremendous amount of experience and a great guy to be around. I finished my full cave with him last year and then went on to do deep air as well as trimix. He'll make sure you learn what you need to in addition to other things that he's picked up along the way through his years of diving...

karstdvr:
I don't know if this question is indicative of how good an instructor is. Some of the best cave diving instructors I've met have done it just part time on the weekends. I've heard some say that an instructor that teaches it for a living maybe more prone to give a student a c-card since that is their primary source of income versus someone who teaches "on the side",hence the logic would be a part time instructor may make you work a little harder to earn that card since he has less to lose. I guess the question I'd probably ask is how many certifications have you done in "x" period of time. I always say if was going to have a surgery I'd like the surgeon to be somebody who does 10 of those procedures a month versus 1 a month. Thanks Jim for your advice.

I would tend to agree with karstdvr in that whether someone is an instructor part time or on a full basis is totally irrelevant. One of my instructors is a mechanical engineer by trade, and is also an excellent scuba instructor. Another one is an anesthesiologist full time and teaches both recreational and technical diving on the weekends. He is a NAUI CD and is also an accomplished instructor. Just my 2 psi.

Just want to jump in here and add my 2 cents and a vote of confidence towards Jim Wyatt as an outstanding instuctor and person...Thanks Jim .

I would think a lot of these questions and responses would be good questions to ask of any tech instructor. I wish I would have went to Jim instead of the guy I did my class through. I would also like to add Reggie Ross as an outstanding cave instructor. He helped out the last few days of my class. I've been waiting for 2 years now, and still havent seen my IANTD card.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom