Question How to check an analyser O2 cell?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For a rebreather, having a cell that reads above one atmosphere partial pressure is a must.
Not sure why you need that overpressure for an analyzer?
well typically you don't...

you check the mV output in 100% 1ATA O2 against the predicted output based on [air mV]/0.209 and the cell specifications. Checking at >1 ATA is not part of how you check analyzers and at 15 months old this cell just needs to be replaced.

For a rebreather, having a cell that reads above one atmosphere partial pressure is a must.
Not sure why you need that overpressure for an analyzer?
1. A good cell has linear reading from 0 to 3 bar.
2. An old cell often is linear from 0 to 1 bar, non linear from 1 to 3 bar.
3. A very old cell is non linear from 0 to 1 bar.

If you test a cell from 0 to 1 bar you only detect situation 3, not situation 2.
No 2 tells me, that No 3 will happen within the next time.
If I test my analyser cell at 3 bar and get situation 1 I know cell is good and will probably still be good from 0 to 1 bar within the next time.
If I test my cell at 3 bar and get situation 2 I know cell is good from 0 to 1 bar but may fail within the next days.
If I have a cell which sometimes gives good results, sometimes bad results, the cell might be between situation 2 and 3. By testing it at 1 bar I might get result 2, then I believe everything is fine. By testing it at 3 bar I will detect the problem.

I my opinion it is a good idea testing a cell at 3 bar even if it is used in an analyer only. But I am very open to other opinions.

and at 15 months old this cell just needs to be replaced.

Maybe this cell needs to be replaced. After a 3 bar test I hopefully KNOW if it has to be replaced or not.

I already had brand new cells which did not work properly after 2 weeks. After 3 weeks they were fine, after 4 weeks they failed. First reaction: can not be the cell, it is brand new. I was looking for other mistakes: calibration, poor gas blending...... In this situation a 3 bar test is helpfull I guess, it will show for example linear reading from 0 to 0.9 bar, nearly linear reading from 0.9 to 1 bar, non linear reading from 1 to 3 bar.

Again, this are my ideas. Are they right? I don't know.

Thanks for you opinions.

Lib1.jpg
Lib2.jpg
Lib3.jpg

I produced a cable entry into Liberty's head. The plastic part is the original Liberty overpressure valve which you use during 3 bar test. The M3 thread rods are contacts + and -. Between cable lug and cell a Molex connector is missing.

This way I can simply run the usual 3 bar Liberty test and by the way test a 5th cell. I simply measure the voltage at thread rods. Hope this works....

If the cell is current limited at a PPO2 of 1.5 that could be very bad in a rebreather. That is where I see testing in pressure pot is a good thing. That cell should not be used in a rebreather. But it still has a lot of life left in an analyzer. The most an analyzer will ever see is a PPO2 of 1.0

I don't see the value of a pressure pot to test analyzer cells to test if they are linear to 3 bar. You only need them linear to 1 bar. What difference does it make (to an analyzer) if they are linear from 1.1 to 3.0 bar?

@Agro

Are you referring to the Divesoft He/O2 analyser ?

I usually change the O2 sensor annually, they don't appear to last long in my part of the world, even when sealed in a "Pelican" style box.
That's been my experience as well.

What difference does it make (to an analyzer) if they are linear from 1.1 to 3.0 bar?
If it is linear from 0 to 1.1 then the cell is very old and will soon not be linear anymore at 1.0 or 0.9.
If it is linear from 0 to 1.5 then the cell is old but will work for a while.
If it is linear from 0 to 3.0 it is new and will work for a long time.

If it is linear from 0 to 3.0 it is new and will work for a long time.
I don't know where you got this idea but cells can fail at any time for various reasons. Just because it's linear today doesnt mean it won't have a compensation circuit failure or perforated membrane tomorrow.

Of course a cell can die from one day to the other, similar to hard attack.

But as far as I know the normal behaviour is as described: first the cell is linear up to 3 bar, then linearity drops down and down and down. At least that's what I find on my rebreather cells.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom