How to carry the safety items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How do you carry the mirror, whistle, sausage, shears, flashlight, etc when diving?

I assume there are small mesh bags that you can clip onto your BCD?

Does this ruin your streamlining by having a bag hanging down when youre in a horizontal position?
or do they clip on top and bottem to keep them against your body when your in the diving positon?

thanks everyone.

What type of BC are you using? I keep my SMB sausage in my wetsuit pocket. If you don't have a wetsuit pocket, then a BC pocket would probably work. I have a canister light on my right waist strap. This would also depend on the type of light and BC.

Having a bag hanging down won't help with streamlining.

Well seeing as Im a vacation, warm water diver, I rent equiptment and my suit has no pockets!

By the way the recent posts about what to carry, how to check out rental equiptment, and boyance(sp)have been a big help!

With a conventional BCD you should have some sort of pockets. I use a leg bag that clips on my waist belt and around my thigh. Holds my pocket light, Finger spool and my lift bag. Room for more if needed. No danglies.

rexman24:
How do you carry the mirror, whistle, sausage, shears, flashlight, etc when diving?

I assume there are small mesh bags that you can clip onto your BCD?

Does this ruin your streamlining by having a bag hanging down when youre in a horizontal position?
or do they clip on top and bottem to keep them against your body when your in the diving positon?

thanks everyone.

Delayed SMB lives ready attached to my reel clipped off to right hip D-ring ready to go.

Mirror i dont bother with.

Whistle, pocket mask, backup torch, backup tables, spare mask in wing pocket
Main torch clipped to right shoulder D-ring
Shears in a holder on my waist strap of harness.

Other misc. crap such as backup dsmb in dry suit pocket.

ah something similar to what alot of the cops carry these days, something that straps onto your thigh?

I picked up an accessory pocket for my Zeagle Ranger that's zip-tied to the cummerbund. Holds shears, spare knife, wrist slate, SL4 light, mirror, and rescue-breating barrier device (MDI CPR Microshield...nice & tiny!) nicely. Whistle is looped to a plastic D-ring that tightens my right shoulder strap. Safety sausage is clipped to a D-ring on my left shoulder strap. Main knife is secured to the right strap.

Because it's attached to the cummerbund, the pocket doesn't affect my streamlining at all. Trained with it to make sure I can find anything in it by feel. Not sure what I'm going to do when I start using my BP/W next week. I'll figure out a new config and then train on it so it's comfortable.

rexman24:

Storm whistle in a zippered compartment on my right thigh pocket flap. Small SMB and spool in my left thigh pocket. Large SMB (with SOLAS strip) in a pouch between my backplate and my back. Shears (which I don't carry all the time) and spare mask in my right thigh pocket. Primary light always in my (usually) left hand. Backup light clipped to chest D-ring and held with inner tube to harness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom