How to carry the primary mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine lives in my fin when I'm not dressed, then when I get ready to splash it comes out onto my head just before fins on. Backwards, glass to rear, seems to keep it safe. I use a mesh bag to keep my fins in when they are waiting to be put on, so it is protected quite well and isn't going to spill anywhere.
Rich

I'm wary of the fin pocket method because on a boat dive my fins are usually on the deck, preferably under a bench, but still vulnerable to being stepped on. On a boat dive I prefer to clip my mask to a D-ring on my BC between dives. Shore diving, if it's not on my face it's in my hand. I haven't had to deal with a situation yet where I need my hands to enter or exit and don't want to wear the mask at that point, so I haven't come up with a method for that situation.

On our recent trip to Malpelo, my buddy, @Dan and I both decided that around the neck was the safest on our RIB. The deck was very risky with feet, fins, and weights. There were no safe surfaces. It was difficult to keep in your hands as they were often needed to hold on or to perform other tasks. I suppose backward on your forehead would work, but then you would look like someone wearing a baseball cap backward.
upload_2021-8-27_15-46-17.png

Around the neck has been proven to be the safest option for not losing a mask, especially if shore diving is involved with any surf. I still do it that way even with a bungeed second.
MOF might look stylish and cool for posing for pics with a retro oval mask but it can be blown off pretty easily. Mask on head backwards is just as bad, it can be lost with one good swell taking your feet out. I see no difference in vulnerability between MOB and MOF.
I have stuffed it into a foot pocket of a fin for transport to the beach but then the mask goes around my neck once I get everything on to get in.
Normally I get my mask defogged and it’s on when I wade into the water to put my fins on. One less thing to deal with once entering off the beach.
We were taught the best place for your mask anytime you’re in the water is wearing it!

Foot pocket of a fin tell I put the fin on. There is an extra in my pocket.

Carried with my fins to the waters edge, dunked once at the water for quick rinse of defog then on my face until I'm back on shore out of the water. Boat dives it stays in the plastic case until just before the dive, then defog, dunk and on face. When I dive full face mask I keep a spare mask in pouch on the waist strap of my BP/W.

I just put it on my face at the car and walk to the water. I can't see trying to fit the skirting under my hood using thick gloves. It's not like I have to walk miles. After the dive, if it's calm water, I just take it off and hold it with my removed fins and walk out-- or leave it on 'til at the car.
In my "younger" days when I knew I was gunna be walking on some slimy wet rocks in or near the water I would keep the mask on my forehead until I could flop down safely or stand up on the way out--better (peripheral) vision with mask off. I wasn't worried about losing it off my forehead in one foot of water. But if rough surf, no forehead. Too old for that crap now anyway.

Glass backwards.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom