How to carry the primary mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LFMarm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking for ideas from experienced divers on the best way to carry the primary mask before starting a dive (on a boat or shore) and after exiting. I am wearing the mask as soon as I enter the water from shore or when getting ready to jump from a boat and take it out only after exiting the water.

I am used to carry it around my neck (after wearing the neck bungee for my short hose second stage regulator) but I see these other options:
  • Around the neck above bungee
  • Clipped with double ended to chest D-ring
  • On the forehead (glass pointing forward)
  • Backward on the forehead (glass pointing backwards)
  • In a pocket together with the spare mask
I am sure this is a personal preference but also that there is a better option for most scenarios.

For dive boats, I have done all of the above except for having it in my pocket or glass facing forward. Some live aboard boats have had a “buddy” bin that we both threw our masks/computers in, think one small bin for every pair of divers.

Shore diving, the mask always goes on my head with glass facing backwards.

Wetsuit: around my neck
Drysuit & hood: on the head, glass backwards, simply because the neck area is starting to get too cluttered and there's zero chance it will get knocked off. Otherwise, it would be around my neck.

I've seen a LOT of people in warm water with glass forward on forehead -- invariably fogged due to the heat.

On a boat in the foot pocket of one of my fins then round my neck when I'm getting ready to splash

On a shore dive, round my neck.

Around neck if about to jump in (above bungee like you said)

If waiting on boat inside the fin pocket.

If I am on a hard boat and need to clip it quickly before kitting for some reason, I’d use a double ender to clip it on my BCD shoulder d ring when it is upright and assembled. (

Backward on the forehead (glass pointing backwards) or in my hands

my mask is always in my fin pocket until it is time to gear up. if i need to stow my mask after that, it is on my right arm with the strap double wrapped. i never see anyone else do this but it was a suggestion from one of my instructors a bunch of years ago.

wearing on the neck is way too annoying. having the glass on the forehead is just a bad idea. having the glass on the back of the head......? if i do this my boss will fire me. haha funny but true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom