how to avoid custom!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbg40

Contributor
Reaction score
Help from DUI guys and gals Please! I just sold my CLX 450 because it was TOO BIG!
I followed their sizing chart on the DUI site, took careful measurements, and bought with confidence, So I thought, The problem I seem to have is, im about 49" in the chest, 34" waist, and about 5'10" in height. The XL suit was big enough to get two people into!, but im a little afraid that a L, will be too tight in the chest. DUI seems to have a pretty generous cut in their suits, and I want the same CLX450,next time. I can't sem to justify a custom, and was wondering if anyone here has close to the same body type as me, and can help with a stock size recommendation. ANY, help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to order a new one ASAP! Thanks.
Dave.

Try renting. If your local shop does not have rentals, then look for another shop that does. If you try a TLS350 in a large you should expect a pretty similar fit in the CLx450. The different materials may not make it an exact match even for fit, but it should be close enough to answer the big question.

Did you use the suit for bouyancy, or did you only keep enough air in it to keep off a squeeze? If you used the suit for bouyancy control then any "bag" style suit will seem big. Try opening the exhaust vent all the way and always letting all the air flow out. The dry suit will press against you like a tight wetsuit. Don't press the dump, just let all the air flow out of the exhaust. Hopefully this will give you a better feel for the suit, it may even be the case that the XL is the right size, only you can tell the answer on that one.

Mark Vlahos

That's good advice. Most DUI dealers have to carry DUI rental dry suits so they should have a large and XL in rental. Make sure you try it on with an undergarment as well.

No, I never use a suit for bouyancy, I use just enough to keep the squeeze off me, so I prefer a closer fitting suit. plus, I dont use a hy-loft undergarments. Im going to try a shop or two tomorrow for exactly what you have recommended, and I thank you for the input!. I was hoping that somone here that saw this post would have the same body type, suit configuration. I would like some "real world" use factors to go by. ..
But keep the comments coming!!!

Mark Vlahos:
Try renting. If your local shop does not have rentals, then look for another shop that does. If you try a TLS350 in a large you should expect a pretty similar fit in the CLx450. The different materials may not make it an exact match even for fit, but it should be close enough to answer the big question.

Did you use the suit for bouyancy, or did you only keep enough air in it to keep off a squeeze? If you used the suit for bouyancy control then any "bag" style suit will seem big. Try opening the exhaust vent all the way and always letting all the air flow out. The dry suit will press against you like a tight wetsuit. Don't press the dump, just let all the air flow out of the exhaust. Hopefully this will give you a better feel for the suit, it may even be the case that the XL is the right size, only you can tell the answer on that one.

Mark Vlahos

I understand you're reasoning, but I mean this suit was stupid! big. The chest was huge, the waist looked like it would fit a circus fat man, and the legs could fit on an elephant! I found myself freezing in it because even a bit of air would go straight to the leggs qnd I dont need to tell you what happens then! It was just misery to wear!

I down loaded a another pic in my profile pic. and you can see how big the suit is on me. Im the bald guy in thhe middle! The suit is compressed in that pic, and you can see the folds in the material.

dbg40:
No, I never use a suit for bouyancy, I use just enough to keep the squeeze off me, so I prefer a closer fitting suit. plus, I dont use a hy-loft undergarments. Im going to try a shop or two tomorrow for exactly what you have recommended, and I thank you for the input!. I was hoping that somone here that saw this post would have the same body type, suit configuration. I would like some "real world" use factors to go by. ..
But keep the comments coming!!!
I figured that you were not using the suit for bouyancy, but it was worth a try.:D

I am almost an exact center of the numbers fit for an XL and with the 300 weight powerstretch I can easily reach my valves, but the suit does not feel big. I do get the floaty feet thing but I have always had skinny ankles and normal calves so gaiters are needed for my skinny lower legs. To make matters worse I frog kick so with good trim my feet will be the highest point.

Mark Vlahos

Mark Vlahos:
I figured that you were not using the suit for bouyancy, but it was worth a try.:D

I am almost an exact center of the numbers fit for an XL and with the 300 weight powerstretch I can easily reach my valves, but the suit does not feel big. I do get the floaty feet thing but I have always had skinny ankles and normal calves so gaiters are needed for my skinny lower legs. To make matters worse I frog kick so with good trim my feet will be the highest point.

Mark Vlahos

Same here, I exclusively use the frog kick, and dive a Halcyon,.....up go the leggs:-(

If you're set on DUI, ignore this. Diving Concepts only charges 100.00 more for custom cut.

dbg40:
Help from DUI guys and gals Please! I just sold my CLX 450 because it was TOO BIG!
I followed their sizing chart on the DUI site, took careful measurements, and bought with confidence, So I thought, The problem I seem to have is, im about 49" in the chest, 34" waist, and about 5'10" in height. The XL suit was big enough to get two people into!, but im a little afraid that a L, will be too tight in the chest. DUI seems to have a pretty generous cut in their suits, and I want the same CLX450,next time. I can't sem to justify a custom, and was wondering if anyone here has close to the same body type as me, and can help with a stock size recommendation. ANY, help would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to order a new one ASAP! Thanks.
Dave.

Check to see if the is a DOG days event near you...

its on the DUI website
http://www.dui-online.com/dog_events_06.html

if there is stop by and have the fit you correctly :)

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom