How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In terms of hierarchy, and just sticking to rec divers, it's not exclusively hierarchical.

Sure, it's OW, AOW, Rescue, DM, Instructor in that order. But specialties in the rec world aren't really hierarchical at all. I didn't get nitrox until after I had Rescue. (It was scary voodoo gas that was too expensive anyway when I got certified OW, and I never really had a need for it for reasons.) But I've given nitrox cards to folks that are just OW.

I am not a Deep Diver, but I am a Deep Diver Instructor. I am not a Dry Suit Diver, but I am a Dry Suit Diver Instructor. Those certifications didn't exist until I'd already been diving in a dry suit and deep for awhile, at least not as commonly as we see now. (For that matter, I'm also not PPB or Search and Recovery certified, but I can certify students in both. I was a DAN oxygen provider, though I'm a PADI Emergency Oxygen instructor.)

So what do I show? My instructor card has got me everything I wanted. Never asked to supervise anybody and most recently was allowed a lot of latitude to do my own thing on guided dives because of it. Maybe my dive count, most recent dive (usually "last week") , and max depth help. I dunno. Seemed like my DM card does the trick as well. I've never had an op want more than AOW. (Unless I ask for nitrox or want to buy a dry suit.)

One time, my second time diving the Blue Hole in Belize, the provider wanted me to do a shallower dive with them first. At the time, my "highest" certification was Rescue. So I told them my dive count, the fact that I'd dived the Blue Hole before, when my most recent dive was and they relented and let me do it.

If I want nitrox, I show a nitrox card. I suppose if a shop insisted on Deep Diver for a dive, I'd try to pass off my Deep Diver Instructor card. They're all on my phone, so my wallet isn't bulging. But I've never had a shop care about specialties that weren't pertinent to the dive at hand. When they ask "highest cert", I think they're after the OW/AOW/Rescue sort of things.

Normally, my CCR Cave card clears me for whatever I want to do. That is the card that stays in my wallet for immediate consumption, the Instructor card is in my binder.

Normally, my CCR Cave card clears me for whatever I want to do. That is the card that stays in my wallet for immediate consumption, the Instructor card is in my binder.

I found a couple of dive shops that didn’t know that full cave (OC) includes deco and O2, so I make sure to take a Tech/Trimix card to cover Nitrox. I lost my Nitrox (40%) card years ago.

I found a couple of dive shops that didn’t know that full cave (OC) includes deco and O2, so I make sure to take a Tech/Trimix card to cover Nitrox. I lost my Nitrox (40%) card years ago.

Full cave doesn’t include deco and O2. At least not with TDI. Officially anyway. Standards specifically say if there’s going to be deco, student has to already be deco certified or doing deco class concurrently with full cave.

"Qualified" trumps "certified" every day of the week." Having an oficial "card" can mean everything or nothing.

"Qualified" trumps "certified" every day of the week." Having an oficial "card" can mean everything or nothing.
Only the diver’s current skills and experience count. Certifications are indicators that the diver "should" be OK but are no guarantee.

I think I answered this one way back, but I just realized that when I leave my island the most important one is the IANTD CCR trimix one. It was the only one two different shops asked for. For other then CCR trimix my OW instructor card works just fine. Can't think of the last time, or if ever I was asked to buddy with the least experienced diver. There are not many places that I plan to dive off island any more. Maybe other islands, and I want to dive the St Lawrence one more time in august (maybe 2024) in my drysuit. I learned to dive in New England 9-10 months a year, as the raven said "Nevermore".

But it is funny that the concept and preparation for solo diving really depends on where you are diving, here in the island I carry my 40 cuft bailout/pony, a spare mask, a couple of trilobytes. Most of the time I don't even carry a DSMB, or a light (depending on the start of the dive of course). For every dive I have 2 computers (CCR & Perdix AI). My max depth on a solo dive is around 125 feet depending on the shelves off the wall, so I can encourage the sharks to come closer :) I also keep any deco to less then 5 minutes.

I do take very good care of my AP Evo+ though and I mix my own gas.

I think I answered this one way back, but I just realized that when I leave my island the most important one is the IANTD CCR trimix one. It was the only one two different shops asked for. For other then CCR trimix my OW instructor card works just fine.
Why on earth did someone want to see your MOD2 card? So they could sell you helium? Or was it to rent a unit from them?

It’s not like anyone would ask to see it prior to diving as a skills checkout is far more relevant.

I don’t know about the shops where you are, but if you want CCR O2 bottles filled or trimix fills around here, you have to show the appropriate cards.

Why on earth did someone want to see your MOD2 card? So they could sell you helium? Or was it to rent a unit from them?

It’s not like anyone would ask to see it prior to diving as a skills checkout is far more relevant.
It was He, the funny thing is they didn't even look to see IIRC that the ard says 25%. Didn't bat an eye when I asked for 45%. Oh well...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom