How to answer "what is your highest certification level"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

to carry fewest cards? You'd think a trimix card would basically cover everything.

Well the person taking the bookings might not be a qualified diver, so not understand the difference. They might be really busy, and can do with out some smart a$$ trying to look important

You don't need to carry cards, a picture will do showing the cert number so it can be verified

Customers forget, that them being a dick can be reciprocated with ease.

The best customers, are those who try to be as helpful/low mainternance as possible or are honest and open about their weaknesses, and that gets reciprocated too.

Well the person taking the bookings might not be a qualified diver, so not understand the difference. They might be really busy, and can do with out some smart a$$ trying to look important

You don't need to carry cards, a picture will do showing the cert number so it can be verified

Customers forget, that them being a dick can be reciprocated with ease.

The best customers, are those who try to be as helpful/low mainternance as possible or are honest and open about their weaknesses, and that gets reciprocated too.
It isn't about being a dick, but spur of the moment customers that may decide they want to dive without making prior bookings.

I'll certainly train my staff who may not be divers to understand what is sufficient proof of certification for different services. It's called customer service.

I certainly won't label someone who rolls in with a trimix or CCR card as being a dick. I certainly don't think @Peter Guy as a dick for doing so. He's actually a super nice guy, doesn't have an inflated ego, etc..

I would not use "100% oxygen" when diving. LOL

It’s a perfectly fine gas … for deco.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make honestly.

My point is that I don’t keep just my Trimix card on me for the reasons listed above. The Adv Nitrox card is the one that shows I’m trained in the proper us of any Nitrox blend from 22-100%.

The reason I have 3 cards with me:
- Trimix card shows I’m qualified down to 200’ in the use of normoxic Trimix
- Adv Nitrox card shows I’m qualified in the use of any possible Nitrox blend
- Solo card shows I’m qualified to dive alone

Typically these cards also show a level of competence that prevents the dive operator for feeling they need to babysit me.

Typically these cards also show a level of competence that prevents the dive operator for feeling they need to babysit me.
...a very real benefit that the "show the lowest level card that will get you the dive" crowd does not seem to understand.

It’s akin to being asked for a 25 metre /100 foot swimming certificate and showing your gold life saving certificate.

Or a fifth grade reading certificate when you have a degree.

People at that advanced level have accrued dozens of certifications way beyond the beginner's ticket. It’s not showing off, it’s expecting that people don’t assume everyone to be a raw beginner.

Doesn’t speak well for the expectations from their service.

...a very real benefit that the "show the lowest level card that will get you the dive" crowd does not seem to understand.

It’s akin to being asked for a 25 metre /100 foot swimming certificate and showing your gold life saving certificate.

Or a fifth grade reading certificate when you have a degree.

People at that advanced level have accrued dozens of certifications way beyond the beginner's ticket. It’s not showing off, it’s expecting that people don’t assume everyone to be a raw beginner.

Doesn’t speak well for the expectations from their service.
I check in with a Rescue cert and a nitrox card, My buddy checks in with a trimix and an advanced nitrox cert. Do you really think the crew on the boat will treat us differently? I doubt they would even know how we checked in.

We are doing a drift dive in SE Florida. I have more than twice my buddy's dives and twice the number in local conditions. Who's the better diver?

I check in with a Rescue cert and a nitrox card, My buddy checks in with a trimix and an advanced nitrox cert. Do you really think the crew on the boat will treat us differently? I doubt they would even know how we checked in.

We are doing a drift dive in SE Florida. I have more than twice my buddy's dives and twice the number in local conditions. Who's the better diver?
I could fill the page with examples, but I am sure none of them will convince you. Carry on. Believe what you have always believed.

Oh, I will give one example after all.

It was on the big island in Hawai'i. It was a big boat--24 customers. They divided us into 3 groups to be led by 3 DMs. When our group got together, one of the divers explained that he worked for the company and was just along to help train a new DM. this DM did not have as much experience as any of us in the group. All we needed to do was stay relatively near him while he learned the dive site and expected company protocols. We were the first group in the water, and we had a great dive. When we exited, the other two groups were already back in the boat.

I wonder how many instructors were in those other groups, smug in their beliefs that they had conned the operation by only showing an OW card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom