How tight should spring straps fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just picked up a set of Innovative Scuba spring straps, XL, and I'm wondering how tight they should fit. With my wetsuit boots on, they just barely stretch to get over the back of my heels, and feel secure enough, but I wasn't sure if they should be tighter or not. Keeping in mind I will be getting a drysuit in the near future, and I imagine the drysuit boots will be slightly thicker yet.

Thanks,
Jim

None of mine are tight at all. I'd say that once the fins fully seat they may have 1/2-3/4 inch of extension per side. Remember that you will need to get them on and off in full gear while in the water and your mechincal advantage may not be too good then.

Also make sure that there is an internal line to keep you from over extending the spring should you give them a good tug.

It's entirely possible that you will need different fins depending on the respective boots. Bring the fins when you go DS shopping.

Pete

Jimmer:
I just picked up a set of Innovative Scuba spring straps, XL, and I'm wondering how tight they should fit. With my wetsuit boots on, they just barely stretch to get over the back of my heels, and feel secure enough, but I wasn't sure if they should be tighter or not. Keeping in mind I will be getting a drysuit in the near future, and I imagine the drysuit boots will be slightly thicker yet.

Thanks,
Jim

It's a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer to have them on fairly loose, just touching... Others want them on tight, especially if the fins are little loose for their wetboots. However, too tight can be uncomfortable because you may feel it through your wetboots. (I ended up getting springs that were too tight and then stretching them out).

I have the Innovative spring heels. Mine are not that tight, but there are booties that have a little "lip" on the heel that helps hold them in place. This might be an option for you if you find that they are too loose.

Put your booties on and your foot in the fin pocket. Using a tape, measure the distance from the center of one attachment point around the back of your foot to the center of the attachment point on the other side. Get springs that are 1" to 1 1/2" shorter than that and you should be fine. Start here and find your personal preference.

Mine are not tight at all. "Just snug" would be the term that comes to mind...as Spectrum says, maybe 1/2" per side, if that much.

All the ebst, James

When I bought mine I got the medium size because I wanted a very snug fit. After a couple hours working with an open water class in the pool my toes were numb. I traded for a size large, which felt a little loose at first, but with about 20 dives now my fins have never slipped and my feet have full circulation.

fdog:
Mine are not tight at all. "Just snug" would be the term that comes to mind...as Spectrum says, maybe 1/2" per side, if that much.

All the ebst, James

Same here

I picked up a pair made specifically for my ScubaPro splits. I was concerned the medium was too tight, but the Large would have sipped off the back, there was that much play in it.

I went with the medium, getting in is no problem, but I find I have to unclip it to get it off in the water (which is not a big deal since I had to do that before anyway). I have only used them on one trip and the seas were pretty rough. I think it will be easier to pull the spring back in calmer seas.

So to answer the question they are a bit snug but certainly does not feel tight at all

Back
Top Bottom