How tight is too tight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, this is the first time I'm gonna be buying a neoprene wetsuit... I've always used skins or fleece (which stretch a lot more so fitting is quite easy)

I've decided to go with a 1.5mm suit... for the simple reason that they are a lot cheaper... and are less prone to picking when abraided.

How tight is too tight? Or how can you tell (in the shop) if a wetsuit is fit just right?

Thanks!

Its needs to be as tight as is comfortable, in other words the wetsuit needs to be tight against your skin otherwise cold water will run through and it won't work efficiently! But you also need to be reasonably comfortable in it , but slightly tighter is better than slightly loose !!!!!!!!
Hope this helps

When you have the wetsuit on, you dont want it so tight you feel it constrict when you take a deep breath, even a little tight becomes uncomfortable at depth.

If its a full suit, that theory should apply to the whole torso area coverd. I dove in 1 loaner suit that I thought was a tad snug, but tolerable. Once down it was not comfortable at all really since it squeezed right to me.

The suit I wear now is a 3/2.. it fits pretty much like a 2nd skin until I hit the water. I pull the neck out and let water in and it stays very comfortable there after.

get a suit that is snug but not tight. neoperene compresses at depth (and does not become looser) and for most part remains pretty flexible. point is, do not get anything tight.

read all the replys and take it from very recent experience... like today. make it comfortable tight or snug is best to tight and you wont be able to catch your breath if your a bit out of shape. my new wet suit will sit for now until i loose a few pounds. i had trouble cathcing breaths at surface. be smart be comfortable.

best of luck
sean

Just bought a Henderson suit for a trip to the Keys. They have a new neoprene (microprene) that's so stretchy that you don't get that feeling that the suit is so tight you can't breath.

Plus, on suits this thin, that "can't catch your breath" feeling is not as apparent as with a heavy suit (6.5 or 7MM).

I would assume that other manufactures will soon be, or already are, jumping on the bandwagon with ultra-stretchy neoprene.

Your LDS will help you get a proper fit, but its not too hard on-line either, as most manufacturers publish their own fitting charts on their web sites.

Ok, I found the sizing chart for the Mares suit I'm looking to buy...

Here's the thing... I'm right at the very edge of the limit of one size-but within the height range, but shorter than the shortest next size up-but the other measurements are just right.

Should I go for the smaller size or next size up? Does the height range of the suit matter more than the rest? Or should I just lose weight and trim down to fit within the smaller size?

jplacson once bubbled...
Does a 1.5 or 3/2 mm suit stretch a lot underwater?

I'm worried that a suit that's 'snug' in the shop, will become loose underwater.

My experience is that they don't stretch much at all. I used to have a wetsuit for different reasons (surfin), and while those days have passed me by, my experience with wetsuits still seems to be pretty square on. When I say pull on the neck to let water in, I mean just enough to open a little seal up and let the wet flow through. When surfing, it was refreshing, while diving it just makes the wetsuit more comfortable for me.. someone else may not do that. I've never experienced any stretching from this, only from the wetsuit wearing out and the neoprene cells collapsing from excessive use. There should be no stretching underwater. What you see is what you get.

I have learened one thing though, if your one who regularly divers down to the 80-110' level, your going to need to replace your wetsuit more often than I will with my shallower dives. The pressure has the same effects as lots of wear and you'll have to address the collapsing cells issue again.

If your looking for something that is more for light protection and not insulation, you may want to consider exposure clothing. If you want nice wetsuits that arent overly expensive, you may want to look at a surf shop.. www.ronjons.com is a good start. Its a regular stop of mine when I am on the FL east coast :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom