How strong of a swimmer are you?

How strong of a swimmer are you?

• I can best a Navy SEAL in a triathalon

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I swim confidently without fins or flotation

Votes: 106 83.5%
  • I need my fins to survive

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • I paid off my instructor to avoid that part of my diver certification!

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't really need the swimming skills unless you REALLY need the swimming skills... :crafty:

You don't really need the swimming skills unless you REALLY need the swimming skills...

I understand your attempt to make a point but I fear it can mislead. I think you need the knowledge that you have swimming skills long before the skill is called for. Incorrectly thinking you have swimming skills is sorted out before you get out of a pool, even if you are cocky enough to believe it before putting on a mask. Knowing you don’t have the skills makes you dangerous well before you actually need them. Panic is a powerful emotion.

i avoided the poll but i think i would die at sea if i was forgotten.
i can swim but during my OWC course, i would have failed had my instructor not been "open minded" and very aware of that fact that i can swim, and create neutral buoyancy, but my swimming technique is seriously lacking.

i guess next summer i will try to work on that.

I believe there is a good chance that attitude will kill you even if you aren’t left behind. You don’t even have to be able to swim 5' on the surface to survive, only keep your airway above water until you are rescued. Practice a really easy stroke like the side-stroke until you convince yourself that you won’t drown. Comfort in the water, free of fear, is the objective — not distance covered. You will enjoy diving much more when you know in your gut that you’re just as safe on the surface without fins, a BC, and a full tank as with.

Your instructor didn’t do you any favors, the shop only collected a fee. :(

I would call myself a strong swimmer. I swam competitively in high school and played water polo. I definitely feel very comfortable in the water.

IMO one doesn't need to have strong swimming skills to scuba, one simply needs good scuba skills to scuba.

Stronger swimmers are more confident swimming but that does not automatically translate to strong scuba skills. It does help one to feel more comfortable which does help breathing and air consumption.

Having lived most of my life inland, my ocean swimming skills are not fantastic. This is proving to be a bit of a worry with my new scuba passion as it is all ocean dives. I grew up in the water and I am VERY confident in flatish water of lakes and rivers, but the ocean does freak me out a bit due to the big waves and rips and the fear of being lost at sea.

I think this will improve with more practice and understanding how the ocean works. Since moving to australia 12 years ago my aussie mates have done their best to make me crap scared of the ocean haha.

Oh, to answer the question: BOW cert required a non-stop 350 yard swim in under 10 min. When I began practicing I could barely swim 50 yards w/o stopping. Three months later I did 350 yards in under 8 min and I work to maintain or exceed this standard regularly. It isn't great, but it is better than nothing. BTW I am now over 1000 yards non-stop.

I'm a average swimming IMHO which is one reason I boat dive only. I pay for the boat to come get me,have ALL the safety equipment on my kit,and plan my dive so that I surface near/under the boat or within sight. If I have to swim to the boat then adjustments will be made or I take my business elsewhere.

"Living life without a hard bottom"
KT

The thread in New Divers asking if you must know how to swim to dive is a scary one. IMO you are crazy to take up diving if you actually can't swim. How preficient a swimmer you should be is one of those "risk/assessment" things. Depends on where you dive/what kind of diving you do. But as mentioned, if you do any activity even near water regularly, you should be a decent swimmer. With and without fins on is night and day.

I'm definitely not a strong swimmer, but I'm comfortable in the water, so that means I'm relaxed, and that means I can swim for a long time without getting tired. Now, when I have to swim against a swift current this level of ability is not so good, so I address that issue by trying to plan so that I never have to swim against current. But you know, emergency skills are not for the plan, they're for when the plan goes awry.

You can be as strong a swimmer you want, if the current is too bad you just CANT swim against it. Thats why the OW class covers how to handle them - Unless they took that part away that is..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom