How strong of a swimmer are you?

How strong of a swimmer are you?

• I can best a Navy SEAL in a triathalon

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I swim confidently without fins or flotation

Votes: 106 83.5%
  • I need my fins to survive

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • I paid off my instructor to avoid that part of my diver certification!

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was a stronger swimmer when I was younger for some reason. As a teenager I occasionally went to the pool and swam 200 laps for fun. As youngsters me, my sister and my cousins used to swim across the local lake and back (about 3km) with my grandmother, who was a lifeguard in her youth, and my aunt who was ... er ... naturally very buoyant. I tried swimming across a lake in France on vacation last year with my daughter, who is a good swimmer, but we swam into a school of about 1000 little bass about 10cm lang and when my daughter felt them touching her she screamed so loud that I thought they were going to send a boat to rescue us.... for some reason swimming across lakes seemed like more fun when I was young. :)

I answered "confident" on the poll. My technique is reasonably ok but I'm slow. In terms of translating that to scuba diving... I'm very comfortable in the water.... Always have been. I often sort of "forget" that I'm under water when I'm diving (that surely can't be good) and I've had enough things happen under water that I'm pretty sure that if some major malfunction happened while I was diving I wouldn't feel panic about it until about 2 seconds before the white light hit my eyes.

As I said, as a swimmer I'm slow.... I've had the odd competitive swimmer in my OW course and one in particular, a young woman who I'll never forget, was SO INCREDIBLE that she left a bow-wave in the water while swimming. I literally had no idea that a human being could swim so fast. When she got out of the water I turned her around and she said, "what are you doing". I said, "looking for the propeller!" LOL.

If you've never seen Olympic level swimming before then get to a meet and watch them them live... on the TV it all seems so slow but once you see it live you'll never look at swimming the same again.

R..

I'm a confident swimmer. I've been swimming laps at the pool to try to get into better shape. 400 yd swim in about 8 minutes . I think that's one of the physical requirements for the DM course, so why the heck not, right? :D

I swam competitively in HS, the US Army, and College. I have been a Life Guard and a WSI as well as an Instructor for the US Army's cold water survival course for several years as well. I swim pretty well.....

At first blush, needing fins to survive isn’t such a big deal. The reality is that thinking that diminishes self-confidence to the point that most people are far more likely to panic when little things go wrong. IMHO, you can’t be a safe diver unless you are confident that you can survive for days on the surface with nothing more than thermal protection.

Last edited:
IMHO you are far more confident in the water if you know that you can swim and if, in the course of routine swimming you sometimes inhale a bit if water and can deal with it. Becoming a stronger swimmer is a byproduct of the practice.

On the plus side, I swim 2000 yards, 2-3 times a week, on the minus side, I do it freestyle and it takes about two hours. I find if I pick up the pace, I start breathing harder, then I lose my rythm and start sucking water, so I just relax and go slow and easy. The little ol ladies in bathing caps are outpacing me.:D

The older I get, the better I was... Held Red Cross Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certification. I'm not as fit as I was years ago, but could easily swim a mile, without gear.

I can best a SEAL in a thriatlon...
Well, not right now as I'm not training as hard as I used to, but I am a very strong swimmer.

i avoided the poll but i think i would die at sea if i was forgotten.
i can swim but during my OWC course, i would have failed had my instructor not been "open minded" and very aware of that fact that i can swim, and create neutral buoyancy, but my swimming technique is seriously lacking.

i guess next summer i will try to work on that.

I feel very confidant in the water, with or with out fins.
I understand the importance of being able to swim and think that it is a very valuable skill that everyone should have, diver or no.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom