How strict are they with carryon items?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can't find the exact dimensions that are allowed. . . check this out, also check your airline . . .

TSA: Packing Tips

I think you'll be just fine. You can always call the airline directly for the most current info. I fly regularly, domestically & internationally, and carry a backpack and another bag as carry on, and don't have any issues or hassles.

Again, if in doubt, go to the source - call US Air at (800) 428-4322

Hope this helps.

It really depends on how full your flight is. If the flight is packed they usually force you to check over sized or second carry ons at the terminal gate before you board.

Your destination will determine the size of the plane your flying which will also impact how much luggage you can take. The more remote, the smaller the plane. In some cases they may limit the total weight of your luggage and not the actual size.

generally speaking I have been held to pretty strict standards with size but not the weight of my carry on. for example a laptop case will obviously fit under a seat so they allow that, and a purse will usually fit under a seat (depending on the woman of course ;-) so they are allowed. But I tried to take on a small backpack designed to hold a laptop along with my carry on luggage and they wouldn't allow it even though I measured it and it would fit under the seat.

The airlines like simple and obvious so try to make your second carry on item something that can easily be identified as stow-able under the seat. for North West Airlines this second item must be smaller than 15X11X6 to be allowed. If you get past check in with it you may still be asked to "gate check" the item if its questionable or you find out it wont fit.

Gate checking isn't bad, I like it anyway because your bag is waiting right there when you get off the plane and you didn't have to deal with sticking it under the seat.

Weight on the other hand has never been an issue so I carry on my 9lb stainless backplate and 5lb single tank adapter, lights, batteries, regulator first stages, and other heavy items. Though the Xray machines hate me and I get my bags searched every time no one minds that the bag weights 50lbs.

The other issue is the size of the plane. Large planes have larger overhead compartments and smaller planes have reduced sized compartments. I've seen time and time again on small planes folks who have to check their carry-ons from the gateway.

does your "medium" backpack look like something that will fit under the seat?

On full size jets, with regular size luggage bins, on US carriers including US Air - with the usual 1 checked and 1 "personal item" rule they've had for awhile, I've yet to have a problem with a rollaboard that's within limits, plus a backpack that will fit under the seat. My husband travels all the time like this with no problem, with his personal item being an overstuffed laptop bag or backpack. Of course there can be a first time for everything, and it may also depend on how full a flight is or the mood of the agent. Some of the discount airlines may tend to be stricter.

I can't find the exact dimensions that are allowed. . . check this out, also check your airline . . .

TSA: Packing Tips
The deminsions will vary with airlines, I think - altho it's good to check the police site too. :D

I've not had the problems that NorthWoodsDiver described, but this will vary with airlines as well. A word of caution about gate checking your roll-on, which happens on Regional Jets and other smaller planes extensively: The bag is handled like other luggage, cameras get broken, etc - with no airline liability. Anything breakable needs to be in your Personal Bag, which I think grew out of a photographer's lobby.
does your "medium" backpack look like something that will fit under the seat?

On full size jets, with regular size luggage bins, on US carriers including US Air - with the usual 1 checked and 1 "personal item" rule they've had for awhile, I've yet to have a problem with a rollaboard that's within limits, plus a backpack that will fit under the seat. My husband travels all the time like this with no problem, with his personal item being an overstuffed laptop bag or backpack. Of course there can be a first time for everything, and it may also depend on how full a flight is or the mood of the agent. Some of the discount airlines may tend to be stricter.
That's been more my experiences.

Be sure to have all of your liquids in your 3-1-1 ziplock and out for TSA.

You will probably be alright with the flights out of the US, as they seem very lenient to what you can take on. In the UK, you are allowed one piece of carry-on, and it has to be within a very specific size and weight usually 5-7kg. So just be aware if you are flying into the UK from the States and then on to somewhere else, if you brought through some monster carry-on or two carry-on bags, you might not have any luck getting on the other flight.

Christ, I am lucky to get by with flights to Egypt, the Maldives and the Far East with my housing, camera, couple of lens and two dive computers, plus my laptop, in my carry-on. It weighs in at 9-10kg, but luckily looks small! If they weigh it, though, I am stuffed... No way in hell you could get away with the weight that NorthWoodsDiver has managed.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom