Cayman Air - How strict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Post trip update - We arrived on Grand Cayman at 2:30 pm on Saturday. We were the only plane arriving at that time so we cleared Immigration quickly. They have several electronic kiosks that made things easier. Getting our bags we proceeded to the Cayman Airways ticket desk. Between my wife and I we had three checked bags and one carry on each. The ticket agent took all three bags after weighing them and never asked to see out carry on bags. We were not charged for any over weight fees, even though I'm sure the combined weight of our bags was over the limit. Our friend, who went to a different ticket agent, was charged an overweight fee for his bag and his carry on was weighed. He had to check the carry on because it was over the weight limit. We had 9 people in our group and all had different experiences, so it really did depend on which ticket agent you got. Since the airport was mostly empty, the line for food was short, they have a Subway and a Wendy's.

The flight to Cayman Brac was on a Saab 340B. The Saab does have a small overhead compartment on the left side of the plane, which was big enough for my backpack to fit in. The under seat storage was also good size but we did not need it. I had AirTags in all my checked bags and that was how I learned one of my checked bags was not on the plane. When I addressed this with the flight attendant, she contacted the ground crew and we were advised that the plane was at capacity and the bag would be flown to tho Cayman Brac in the morning. Since I had heard about this happening to other travelers I split my clothes between two bags, which was good because the bag that was left was our clothes bag. Several other divers in our group had the same experience, and were not happy because they had had not other clothes or had meds in their bags. Only two divers didn't get their dive gear. I'm glad I had the AirTags so I know in advance my bag was a not coming. Cayman Brac Beach Resort was very understanding and provided dive gear to all divers whose gear did not make it, this was all free of charge. Everyone's bags arrived the next day and were in our rooms before we returned form the second dive.

Flying home was a bit different than arriving. We were on a 10:55 flight and arrived at 9:00. This time all of our bags were weighed, including the carry on bags but we were not charged any overweight fees and were allowed to keep our carry on bags (mine weighed 20.3 pounds) The Immigration people went through everyone's bags and pulled half of our group for a more extensive search. The unpacked their checked bags and went though all the dirty laundry. All the bags made it on the flight this time, which was a relief for most. The lines to check in at American Airlines were long on GC, but not as long as those flying United. The airport was packed with people going home and most gates looked like they were standing room only. The wait for those wanting food was almost 45 minutes.

So, my reasons learned were:
1. It really depends on the ticket agent if you are going to get charges extra fees, so be nice to them.
2. If you must have it, put it in your carry on and keep in under 15 pounds. (medications, dive computer etc.)
3. If you have more then one checked bag, divide your clothes so you have something to change into and swim in.
4. If I do it again, I will take the Cayman Air flight out of Miami that stops at Cayman Brac.
5. I would avoid traveling on a Saturday, if possible.

I’ve just booked cayman brac on a Saturday, sigh, (the cayman brac resort seems to need a sat -sat stay). It seemed to me the Cayman Air flights are all 737 based flights and I was expecting overhead bins. Are you guys saying even the 737 doesn’t have overheads or just the smaller planes like the Saab?

We've got a hard case for camera gear that we're hoping to carry on board that won't fit under a seat, we may have to rethink that strategy.

Post trip update - We arrived on Grand Cayman at 2:30 pm on Saturday. We were the only plane arriving at that time so we cleared Immigration quickly. They have several electronic kiosks that made things easier. Getting our bags we proceeded to the Cayman Airways ticket desk. Between my wife and I we had three checked bags and one carry on each. The ticket agent took all three bags after weighing them and never asked to see out carry on bags. We were not charged for any over weight fees, even though I'm sure the combined weight of our bags was over the limit. Our friend, who went to a different ticket agent, was charged an overweight fee for his bag and his carry on was weighed. He had to check the carry on because it was over the weight limit. We had 9 people in our group and all had different experiences, so it really did depend on which ticket agent you got. Since the airport was mostly empty, the line for food was short, they have a Subway and a Wendy's.

The flight to Cayman Brac was on a Saab 340B. The Saab does have a small overhead compartment on the left side of the plane, which was big enough for my backpack to fit in. The under seat storage was also good size but we did not need it. I had AirTags in all my checked bags and that was how I learned one of my checked bags was not on the plane. When I addressed this with the flight attendant, she contacted the ground crew and we were advised that the plane was at capacity and the bag would be flown to tho Cayman Brac in the morning. Since I had heard about this happening to other travelers I split my clothes between two bags, which was good because the bag that was left was our clothes bag. Several other divers in our group had the same experience, and were not happy because they had had not other clothes or had meds in their bags. Only two divers didn't get their dive gear. I'm glad I had the AirTags so I know in advance my bag was a not coming. Cayman Brac Beach Resort was very understanding and provided dive gear to all divers whose gear did not make it, this was all free of charge. Everyone's bags arrived the next day and were in our rooms before we returned form the second dive.

Flying home was a bit different than arriving. We were on a 10:55 flight and arrived at 9:00. This time all of our bags were weighed, including the carry on bags but we were not charged any overweight fees and were allowed to keep our carry on bags (mine weighed 20.3 pounds) The Immigration people went through everyone's bags and pulled half of our group for a more extensive search. The unpacked their checked bags and went though all the dirty laundry. All the bags made it on the flight this time, which was a relief for most. The lines to check in at American Airlines were long on GC, but not as long as those flying United. The airport was packed with people going home and most gates looked like they were standing room only. The wait for those wanting food was almost 45 minutes.

So, my reasons learned were:
1. It really depends on the ticket agent if you are going to get charges extra fees, so be nice to them.
2. If you must have it, put it in your carry on and keep in under 15 pounds. (medications, dive computer etc.)
3. If you have more then one checked bag, divide your clothes so you have something to change into and swim in.
4. If I do it again, I will take the Cayman Air flight out of Miami that stops at Cayman Brac.
5. I would avoid traveling on a Saturday, if possible.
In out experience, if you try and check two bags on one of those smaller planes it is almost certain one will come the next morning. You can tell them which bag is the priority to go with you and pack accordingly.
When we got to Cayman Brac Beach Resort, they just provided no-charge rental gear to our folks that had their dive gear left behind. When we got to Little Cayman Beach REsort, they delayed the morning boat dive until after the plane arrived with our gear, and we did one am and two pm dives instead of two am and one pm.

I’ve just booked cayman brac on a Saturday, sigh, (the cayman brac resort seems to need a sat -sat stay). It seemed to me the Cayman Air flights are all 737 based flights and I was expecting overhead bins. Are you guys saying even the 737 doesn’t have overheads or just the smaller planes like the Saab?

We've got a hard case for camera gear that we're hoping to carry on board that won't fit under a seat, we may have to rethink that strategy.
If you take the Miami to Cayman Brac direct 737 flight, it is a normal 737 with the regular sized bins. I took on board one carry on sized duffle bag and a personal sized roller. I would never take the otter or the Saab again due to all the problems associated with those planes.

Not sure if it is still this way, but the last flight in the evening from GC to CB used to be a 737 flight and it had overhead bins. It has been too long since I have been on the Saab, but I thought it had overhead bins also, although they may be a bit smaller than typical airline overheads. The Otter flights definitely have no overheads. I travel with a similar hard case for photo gear as a carryon, and I have typically just walked it out to the tarmac and then handed it off to the baggage guys at the plane. I have never had any issues with damage or mishandling doing it that way.

I have never had any issues with damage or mishandling doing it
We will have our Apple Tags in there but will still worry if it's out of our hands .. haha. I suppose curb side is surely safer than regular checked bags. Thanks for the tips and reassurances everyone. Looking forward to Diving Cayman Brac :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom