How Soon Before Everyone is Using a Rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the idea is really cool (especially since I'm a photo bug) but I'm no where close to having the experience let alone wanting to pay the price.

Just curious how most people feel about diving with a group where only one or two people are using re-breathers?

This happened to us at Cobalt Coast in Grand Cayman on our first dive trip a few years ago. A British couple checked in mid-way through our trip and we found it kind of annoying to have them on the boat with re-breathers. I thought one of the main reasons to dive with them is because of increased bottom time which made no sense to me why they would be on a boat with OC divers that are much more limited. One of the divers had a ton of problems with their equipment/absorbent and was in the pool most of the day trying to fix the problem. I suppose part of our irritation was also that it just seemed like they weren't very aware of where people's things where when getting out of the water and their equipment took up a lot more room. That was the only trip that I've seen someone with a re-breather on though.

On the other hand, several of the workers at Cobalt are tech divers and we saw them go out on shore dives a couple times for 3 hours which made a lot more sense to me. I can definitely see an advanced or professional underwater photographer using a re-breather but diving is expensive enough for most people.

We're getting ready to do a liveaboard and I know someone else was mentioning bringing theirs along on the trip right after ours, I'm secretly happy I'm not on that trip.:)

I find this mindset very interesting, because it only further solidifies my opinion that people are scared of rebreathers, more because they do not understand them, rathere than because of the danger involved with using them.

Here in South Florida, I regularly go out on my local dive boats. As is most often the case, My buddy and me are the only divers on a rebreather, along with up to 15 or so other open circuit divers. I can't imagine for the life of my how me being on a rebreather adversely affects any other divers!!!

First, I always dive with an independent bailout bottle on me, so if anything were to happen, I just reach down for my completely independent open circuit regulator and breathe it - How many open circuit recreational divers carry an independent regulator and tank - Not many!

Secondly, because of the complex nature of the rebreather, 95% of the work is done before I get to the dock. By the time I get to the boat, I usualy only have to go through a short pre-breathe checklist and I'm in the water - How does that disturb other OC divers?

Thirdly, because of the complex nature of my rebreather, I double check every single item on my unit, via the use of vert detailed checklists. How many oc divers have really double checked their entire rig? On my checklist, items such as my wing inflator, internal regulator intermediate pressure, the volume of air in my wing (bc), etc. are all double checked. Most of the items are things that an open circuit diver could double check as well, yet they usually do not systematically do it - Doesn't that make me safer than other divers? Again, how does any of that adversely affect any other diver?

Furthermore, my rebreather is actullly smally than the size of a set of double that an open circuit diver would use. Fully assembled, it only ways somewhere in the range of 47 pounds. As I mentioned, it's always fully assembled by the time I get to the boat. My gear bag is tiny, because I uaually only have my wetsuit, fins, divemask, glaves and a reel in it. I carry a small either 30 or 40 cu ft bailout bottle, with the regulator already on it. Oh, and I never have to switch tanks between dives in a day full of diving - How do I inconvenience other divers?

Furthermore, people are under the impression that just because I can stay down 4 hours, I have too. When I'm on recreational boats, captains usually ask me if it's ok if they ask me to surface after only one hour, or whatever their schedule calls for. My response is usually the same, "Captain, you just tell me when you need me back on the boat, and I will be back at that time." - How does that inconvenience other divers?

Furthermore, I think we've all seen someone on board a dive boat, whether they were diving open circuit or a rebreather, that shows up with more equipment than they need and dodn't respect everyone else's space, but to assume that all divers, or rebreather divers for that fact do the same is simply jumping to conclusions.

Just like many new things in life, I think once it becomes more commonplace and people understand them better, their initial opinions will drastically be altered. I'm mean really, wasn't it not that long ago that nitrox was considered taboo, because the industry thought divers were going to go out there and kill themselves?

Again, I think people have a problem with the unknown and that can lead to irrational pre-conceived opinions being formed.

First time I dove w/ Ed he said "If something goes wrong I'll probably just pass out. Hit the blue button and hopefully I'll wake up." :11: WTF?

For right now, I'm cool w/ a buddy in trouble freaking out w/ panic stricken eyes grabbing at my reg. Oh, you need help? Here ya go :D

I'll get there eventually, just need a few hundred more dives under my belt. Once I start diving mix I'm sure CC will start to make sense. But I have plenty of diving to do and a lot to learn on OC before I hit that point.

I couldn't agree more. That's why I'm going to wait until I've completed & "mastered" every aspect of OC diving before considering going to a CCR.

Given the huge advantage of CCR over OC for technical diving where there is already a significant higher level of risk involved, I'd imagine that within 10 years the majority, probably over 75%, of technical divers will be using CCR. There is also clearly a benefit to serious photographers and videographers. However, to the rest of us "regular" sport divers, I don't see CCR every being more than a small niche market. The cost, maintenance and risk will continue to create too high of a barrier.

SFLDIVER-

I would not agree that I am "scared" of a rebreather. In about a week I'll be off the Belize on my fourth dive trip where I'll probably get close to hitting the 100 dive mark. To date I've completed Advanced Open Water certification, my husband and I have purchased all our own equipment less tanks and invested in a decent underwater camera and strobe. I do not think I have enough experience to even think about a rebreather at this time let alone do I want to spend more money on equipment and training.

I also feel that the two main advantages that I see to a rebreather is no bubbles when your taking photos and much longer bottom time. Unless you are a serious photographer I think it would be overkill to wear a rebreather on a boat with tank divers. I'm not saying you can't or that you have been inconveniencing other divers. My husband and I both felt the same way about the couple using them on our first trip, as I said it was probably partially just their personalities. I can see why they would have taken them to Cobalt if they planned to do a lot of shore diving. If I had one, I would want to dive for as long as I could, get my money out of it and as much diving time as it would allow me. I guess for me I would not be a happy camper about having to get out of the water with tank divers at a certain time when I could stay in for so much longer. To each his own.

Given the some of the new rebreathers shown at DEMA this year and the clear intentions of RAID to train recreational rebreather divers on simplified rebreathers, I think that the shift to rebreathers for many recreational divers will happen - maybe in the next 15 years. Of course when I was younger, I thought we'd have underwater colonies by now..., so predicting the future is clearly not my thing.

When resort and recreational divers show the skills required to deal with 3-5 hours of continuous nitrogen intake and oxygen exposure over a varying range of depths...

Many are prefectly able to get into trouble with a single 80.

For some divers the additional hassle of loading up the absorbent, tracking absorbent hours, doing the pre-dive checks, etc. is going to keep them from moving on over to rebreathers.

I took a look at rebreathers and even did a couple dives on a SCR a few years ago, but decided that it isn't the right sort of gear for a laid back, casual guy like me that isn't always that careful about gear maintenance and setup. Open circuit is more tolerant of sloppiness or an occasional memory lapse.

Charlie Allen

I'm with Charlie. Considering cost, maintenance issues, etc., the casual diver will shy away from the commitment of CCRs. That leaves the avid and professional divers. Split most of the pros off into thier rec instructor status, where they teach the newbs in regular SCUBA rigs, and that leaves very few divers to build a strong CCR following.

Again, with Charlie... personally... I'm just too lazy... lol!:eyebrow:

I don't think recreational diving will ever be taken over by rebreathers. the tech realm is likely to become mostly rebreathers, though, IMHO...it's a matter of time. Eventually even the most sceptical of tech divers will eventually be lulled by the logistical advantages, IMHO. If you are into tech diving you are already spending the money...the question invariably becomes how much bottom time you want for your time doing deco. I personally have been put off by tech diving on OC, never even ventured into it on OC...skipped right to CCR...and kept on diving mostly in recreational limits with occasional jaunts deeper.

the expense and complexity will deter many if not most recreational divers. for those who can only dive a few times a year it's questionable as to weather it's even advisable to own and dive a RBW even if money is no issue. If I did not have a place near by to dive on a regular basis I would not feel comfortable diving CCR. If a matter of weeks goes by I start to feel rusty.

That said, for those who are left feeling like the amount of air in their al 80 has them rushing to the max depth only to turn quickly around and start heading back- for those who just can't get enough of what they love on OC- these folks will find CCR diving to be bliss at any depth.

And for those that spend $3-5k on a dive trip with any kind of regular basis and want to double their bottom time with dramatically extended NDL's, the added expense of a CCR gets outweighed quickly by the added value to such trips.

If you are happy with the diving you are doing, keep doing it and be happy...it's all about the right tool for the right job and doing what's right for you.
;~)

what i dont get about rebreathers (well i do get it-it makes me wonder if its all worth it) is all the bailout you guys carry

you have a rebreather so you can stay longer at depths but just in case you have extra tanks to get you back

often i wonder if all the tasking on managing all the bailouts/stages/ponys (whatever your flavour) add work to the dive and as a result often overworks the diver to a bad outcome and therefore the high percentage of incidents and bad rep the units earn

when units are made more idiot proof they will become more recreational, im not saying this is a good thing... just the nature of the industry

cheers

Honestly, I just don't see the need for RB's on recreational dives. Really, there are no dives I couldn't do in "recreational" doubles (i.e 80's) that I'd need a rebreather for. And if we're talking singles ... forget it. Way to complicated for what I want.

KISS. (No, not the rebreather type :D ).

Just my $0.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom