How solid are Scubapro wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark IV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Specifically, their heavier 5 and 7mm 'Steamer' suits I'm seeing on sale. Anyone have any long-term familiarity with these ?
Thanks......

I beat the hell out of a 5mm for years, my brother is currently beating the hell out of it. It's ripped at the knees, neoprene is stiff, but it is at least 10 years old and has well over a thousand dives on it. I got it used and cheap then and would get another one with little concern if I wasn't so cheap

Thanks again,T. Maybe you can help me with sizing? I'm 5-11", and about 210 (with the dwindling vestiges of a once athletic build,LOL!), but once we fully get into spring (any week now) I expect to be hammering the bike miles again and get back on the weight loss campaign I started last summer, and should easily get down to 200 lbs without much trouble (and possibly a couple more pounds beyond that, but lets say 200#.)
(edit) I'm usually wearing shorts and jeans with a 36" waist, with plenty room to spare, but can't squeeze into anything in 34". Go figure.
Anyway, would you say these things tend to run tight, loose, or true to their sizing chart? And would you guesstimate that I'd be better off with a LG or XL?

(edit) from what little I've found, it appears that they run tight, and an XL is definitely the way to go, even if I drop 10+ lbs.

Last edited:
Specifically, their heavier 5 and 7mm 'Steamer' suits I'm seeing on sale. Anyone have any long-term familiarity with these ?
Thanks......

I can't say for the thicker suits, however I bought a used 3mm shorty suit while in Hawai'i and it's still in great shape if that's an indication of their quality in general. I'm not sure when it was made but it has fluorescent green panels so whenever they were popular :wink: I'm guessing more than 10 years old.

@Mark IV unfortunately i'm not the guy for sizing as I'm very strangely sized and haven't been 5'11" in a LONG time. I can tell you that at 6'4", 270lbs, this is a XXL. That one at least was much more euro sized, i.e. no beer gut, but I haven't trie any of their newer stuff so can't really comment on them

229584_1774272242291_4227024_n.jpg

SP wetsuits are well made. Mine lasted for several years while living and traveling to the tropics. The Everflex suit is quite nice and holds up well, even in cold water. The inside of the wetsuit is very comfortable. The Everflex comes in 7/5mm, 5/4mm, 3/2mm.

The one thing that I have noticed about the sizing is they fit an average build or thinner better than one who has broad shoulders with a large chest and thick arms. Same with hips and legs. According to the sizing chart, you fit in the range of Large or Extra Large Short. I can't emphasize this enough, try it one before buying it. You can purchase the most expensive or cheapest wetsuit, if it doesn't fit properly then it is worthless, regardless of brand.

The only issue with SP wetsuits is that they are "Euro" slim sizing not American sizing. They run very small and slim. I fit into an AL xl suit but SP xxl is too small for me. Don't trust the sizing chart, try them on in person!!!

I have a Scubapro 5mm and love it. Going to get a 3mm version. I'm 5'10" was as high as 205 and while it was tight, the Large fit me.

Down 20lbs so hopefully it fits better this spring....lol

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I am European and haven’t found a scubapro suit that fits me. Waterproof suits on the other hand are spot on and fit like a glove. Must be an Italian thing ;-)

Not sure what you guys are talking about. I am European and haven’t found a scubapro suit that fits me. Waterproof suits on the other hand are spot on and fit like a glove. Must be an Italian thing ;-)

my Rofos is Italian and fit like a glove off the peg as well

Back
Top Bottom