How Snug Should A Wetsuit Be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pepperbelly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I tried on a Scubapro Everflex 5/4. It was snug but not too restrictive. I could bend and squat, and wore it for a while with no problems breathing, etc.
When I tried to zip it up alone I had trouble but the LDS owner zipped me OK.
How much of a gap i. The zipper initially should there be?
If it zips and. I don't feel it's restricting my breathing and movements is that good?
This is my first wetsuit and I want to be sure it fits but I am not sure how it should feel. I think it will feel better in the water but I have no experience with a wetsuit to compare to.

You want it snug without any slack.
I find I get better range of motion with my wetsuit under water the tighter it is the less water intrusion.
The less water that enters the wetsuit
The less heat loss you will have, since your body has to warm the water in the suit.also the tighter it is the less flushing of water that will occur which results in you staying warmer.
Some lds will alter a wetsuit so that it fits perfectly and should be able to stitch a blind stitch when altering the suit.
Neoprene is non permeable. The reason one is wet when diving a wetsuit is of 3 reasons
1 stitches are not done blind resulting in minor leaking at seams.
2 zippers are not of water tight design and leaking occurs.
3 the major cause of being wet in a wetsuit neck feet and hands openings are not watertight. Hence the reason gloves go over wrists of wetsuit. Legs go over booties.
A proper fitting wetsuit when you jump into the water you should feel a small trickle like icy fingers from you neck, hands , and legs when jumping into the water anything more and it's too loose

With the wetsuit and *all of your gear on*, you should not feel an effort to breathe.

When I tried to zip it up alone I had trouble but the LDS owner zipped me OK.

Better give careful thought to that if you are solo diving.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom