How should my new Bare CD4 drysuit fit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brianstclair

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my first drysuit in the mail - a Bare CD4 size M - and it seems like it's pretty big on me. I'm 5' 9", 150 lbs and an average to skinny build.

The customer service person that I talked to said that the suit will squeeze once I'm in the water, and the extra room will allow me to have more flexibility. I'm well aware of the whole squeeze factor, but it seems like more room = harder time managing the air in the suit. Any thoughts?

It would be most useful to hear from people around my size and/or using this particular suit or at least a neoprene suit. I guess my question is, is this suit too big for me? To give you an idea, I could easily wear a thick hooded sweatshirt and sweatpants under the suit - it is snug in the feet (which is good), but nowhere else.

The Bare size chart says that this suit should fit someone from 150 lbs to 175 lbs, so I'm right at the small end of that scale. In fact, I'm at the small end of every measurement range for the Medium.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

I have the CD2 tech from bare granted its custom but it almost sounds to me as if yours may be a little on the large side for you .What would the fit be like with say a 200 fleece still baggy ? Im not sure I buy the whole squeeze flexibility scam . If its to big it may as you said be hard to manage the air in the suit. Realy difficult to give you an honest answer without seeing how the suit fits you.

Yeah, I understand - tough question to answer, like you said. I guess a better question would be "How does YOUR Bare drysuit fit you and do you consider it to be a good fit or a bad fit and why?".

I realized after looking at the Bare size charts more that I'm EXACTLY at the high end of the small measurements and the low end of the medium measurements. Better to be at one end or the other? Should I just return the suit and get a custom fit suit?

Thanks again.

Brian

That's a lamionate suit that won't stretch right? Consider that as you evaluate.

Don an undergarmant or at least a pair of sweats for now as well as the suit. Now try some awkward positions, like the figure 4 to don & doff fins or lets say a valve drill. If these things get you close to the limits in the suit then it's really not too big. If you have a lot of freedom to spare then it may be on the generous size.

Pete

I am a new, new, new diver so take this for what it's not worth. Or something.

I also have a CD4, size XL because I am 5'9 and 215 lbs. I have only used it 4 times (plus once in a pool).

No one can say without seeing it of course, but it sounds like your suit fits OK. You need to have room inside it to wear thermals, and some thermals need a little room to loft to insulate well. So if you can wear sweats and still move about you are probably doing fine.

Once you get it wet you will be amazed at how much it compresses at depth, if you let it--control that with the air volume you use.

My XL suit fits well except that the arms and legs are each a couple of inches too long... but the price was so good I decided to live with the minor inconvenience.

I have an XCD2 pro dry and it is a large. I sort of happen to fit the large build for the suit exactly in the middle for most of the measurements.

The only thing I have extra space for is in the belly area. With BC etc this has not been an issue at all.

If you seem to have alot of extra room to fit the stock suit you may be better off to return it and send in accurate measurments for a custom.

Just a stupid question, what undergarment did you have on under it? A drysuit is selected based on your size and also what you plan to wear under it.

Just a thin, fleece undergarment. I mostly cave dive, so I'm looking at 72 degree water pretty consistently but longer bottom times (2 - 3 hours).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom