How should I get in water with Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke:
When doing a "giant stride" off a boat while diving with a camera (compact digital in a waterproof housing), should I (do you) have someone hand you the camera after you get in the water, or hold it above your head as you jump in, or.....

Note: I have a big housing, dual strobes, arms, etc, etc

In my order of preference:

1. Some one hands or lowers it to me (most often)
2. Lean down and place the housing in the water and follow it by forward rolling in (most fun)
3. Fall backwards into the water with the camera protected from impact by your body. (end up doing this a lot as well)
4. Put the camera on a down line and after you enter retrieve it (not often)

For 2&3 remember to clip the camera to you just in case you lose your grip on it

M

I'm with Mike, in the BC pocket. Pull it out at depth and under the BC strap. If it's a shore dive I may pull it out sooner to check for leaks.

I was diving with some cult members (Oly owners), yesterday and I was noticing that they had to hold their camera while swimming. I could fold my hands in front, seems a little more streamlined. This has nothing to do with the Oly's per se, it was the size of the camera in the housing, just another thing to consider in future choices. Give up a little quality (very very little, IMHO) for convience.

Agree with all of the above, but have on more than one occassion jumped in holding the camera high above my head and as the split legged entry, sorry foget what they call it, cushions the entry and the bc inflated, I figure it's fine.. These things are a little tougher than I think we give them credit for. The housings are really tough, so the question is the deal of the shock of the camera itself.. I look at it, using the Giant Stride Entry (there is is :wink: ) would be like me holding a camera in jumping off a second step on an walkway.. the camera should hold up just fine..

The only other concern would be the strobe and arms. I'm more concerned about the strobes with the jolt than I am with the camera.

So, for me anyway, doing a giant stride is not a big deal. Would prefer being handed the camera, but in currents, rough seas it ain't gonna happen so I'll jump in holding mask & Reg, BC inflated with dry suit too, and camera held out above my head... arms flex to cushion the blow too..

Hope that helps...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom