How should I get in water with Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
When doing a "giant stride" off a boat while diving with a camera (compact digital in a waterproof housing), should I (do you) have someone hand you the camera after you get in the water, or hold it above your head as you jump in, or.....

The manual suggests that the watertight integrity might be compromised by erratic splashes and so on such as that that might be produced if you just dove in willy nilly.

Thanks,
Dave

i've always heard it recommended that you should have the camera handed to you
once you are in the water, no matter what method you use to get in.

then, immediately do a bubble check to spot potential leaks before they do damage.

(i'm a newbie photographer, take this with a grain of salt, etc.)

Andy's right. always try to have someone hand your rig to you after you get in the water. However, sometimes the conditions make that very difficult. in that case, I either leave it on the boat or use a tether line and have it lowered to me underwater. i have a 3ft length of nylon cord with brass clips on either end. One end is attached to my rig. The DM will lower the rig into the water as far as he can reach and I will take it from him from underwater, giving two small tugs to let him know I have it in hand. If he doesn't feel the tugs, he doesn't release it. I then attach the coiled lanyard to my BC, remove the tether and store it in a pocket.

Agreed with everybody else, the best way is to have the camera handed to you once you are in water. Once my buddies and I had quite a strong current and what we did was doing a giant stride with one hand holding the cameras high above our heads so the camera would not enter the water at once, deflate the BCD, then slowly bring the camera down through the surface. Everyone else with no camera did a negative entry.
It was rather messy and I am glad the camera survived but hope that I would not have to do that again as things could potentially go wrong easily.

dlwalke:
When doing a "giant stride" off a boat while diving with a camera (compact digital in a waterproof housing), should I (do you) have someone hand you the camera after you get in the water, or hold it above your head as you jump in, or.....

The manual suggests that the watertight integrity might be compromised by erratic splashes and so on such as that that might be produced if you just dove in willy nilly.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave-If it's a drift dive---chances are, you don't have much choice but to take it with you. If you're on a live-aboard, there are always crew members there to hand it to you. If I'am doing a back-roll off a zodiac, or some such, I'll usually just curl-up with it, and go. The exception would be if you have light arms out.
I think safe is best in any situation. Use help if it's there. When I dive solo, before leaving the boat, I rig a line to attach the rig to off the stern. Hook-up, climb aboard, and pull the rig up, when I get back on. Never rig a line anywhere the current may wash it up into the side of the boat! Peace-Have fun! :11:

dlwalke:
When doing a "giant stride" off a boat while diving with a camera (compact digital in a waterproof housing), ....
My Sony DSCP5 always goes in my BC pocket - at least for the last 100+ dives and I've never had any problem.
The BC protects it from direct water shock impact on the seals.

Reel Steel:
If I'am doing a back-roll off a zodiac, or some such, I'll usually just curl-up with it, and go. The exception would be if you have light arms out.

I forgot to mention this one. If the currents are running pretty stiff, making getting back to the boat almost impossible, if I can do a backroll entry I will. You body cushions the shock of the water. It's not ideal but works occasionally

I just jump in or backroll in holding my small PT016/Olympus Stylus 400 against my waist. It's worked for the last 100 or so dives. That should probably work for your compact digital also --- just don't snag the housing and accidently open it.

I have seen housings get banged up or dropped when being handed off, so at least for my small housing, I figure the odds are better taking with me.

Charlie

Back
Top Bottom