How should I carry my camera? Hogarthian set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

00wabbit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm trying to think of the best way to carry my camera. My camera is a Sony RX100 in a Nauticam Housing with the one handle easy tray. It has a wide angle lens but no lights.
I don't like to have the camera in my hands the whole dive. I like to use the camera when I see something interesting.

I dive a back plate and wing. I have a AL40 stage on the left side (left chest and hip d-ring). On the right side I have a back up light (right shoulder d-ring secured to strap) I also have a small can light and clip of the light head onthe right shoulder d-ring.
I dive with a long hose on the right side and bungeed backup.

Most of my dives have been without the can light and in those situations I will clip the camera to my right hip with a snappy coil. Now with the can light on the right side and the long hose on the right side it does not seem safe to carry the camera on a snappy coil also on the right side.

I am thinking of just tying a bolt snap directly to the camera and ditching the coil. This way I can clip off the camera wherever it is convenient when not in use and eliminate another cord running across my body. The only downside is that now the camera will not be attached to me so I can't drop it.

How do you do it?

I carry mine the whole time.

I run a lanyard to the scooter ring. If I have to drop the camera for some odd reason hopefully the substantial lanyard will hold it.

I have considered adding another shorter lanyard and clip such that I could hook it to my right D ring, thus retaining the camera close to my body, suspending between the scooter ring and the rh D ring.

N

I have one of those coiled lanyards on my camera, and I clip it to the left chest d-ring. My camera is slightly negative, so if I'm not holding it, the lanyard is clipped to its short length, and the camera hangs below me. It does not interfere with a deco bottle. However, if you are scootering, you have to be careful that the camera isn't banging against the bottle, because my husband lost a strobe that way when the tray broke.

I dive Hogarthian, but most of my experience is single-tank. When I do dive with a can light and deco bottle, I haven't noticed any issues. I wear my can light horizontally across the bottom of my wing (where a buttplate would sit).

I use a snappy coil on my right shoulder D-ring. It's snapped until I need the camera, at which point I disconnect. In a pinch I can shoot while it's still snapped, but it's usually not pretty.

My dive buddy uses a short lanyard like the one James R mentioned, on his left shoulder D-ring. He also carries a dedicated double-ender so he can clip the other end of his camera to his right shoulder D-ring. He usually only uses the double-ender if he's multitasking, like spearfishing or lobstering and taking photos.

snappy coil.jpg

I use the coiled lanyard like posted above, clipped to left chest-D ring. IF I'm scootering, I add a second bolt snap (on very short lanyard) and clip it to my crotch D-ring which then holds the system tight against my chest. As TSandM wrote, I once lost a strobe because it had banged against a stage while scootering -- very expensive dive. (BTW, "lost" as in the arm broke off!)

I tend to carry my camera so that the lens is pointing towards the subject and the viewfinder points in my direction. I tried it the other way around but this rather I attractive gentleman kept photo bombing my pictures

I am thinking of just tying a bolt snap directly to the camera and ditching the coil. This way I can clip off the camera wherever it is convenient when not in use and eliminate another cord running across my body. The only downside is that now the camera will not be attached to me so I can't drop it.

How do you do it?

That is how I've done it for years. Cave-tie a bolt snap to the camera. Clip it when not in use. Hold it when in use.

Same here. Just don't drop it when not in use!

I think it's actually more secure. Without the 'safety net' of a curly-wurly lanyard, the diver is very focused on retaining control of the equipment. They don't drop it. With the curly-wurly lanyard, divers get into habits of dropping the camera regularly... until the day comes that the lanyard breaks, or isn't securely fastened etc etc...

I have a lovely Sony camera and housing.... I found it.... on the sea-bed.... complete with a curly-wurly attached. LOL I've had it on a simple bolt-snap for the last 6 years...never dropped it. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom