How should I carry my camera? Hogarthian set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i used to use the curly lanard, before i found out they break easily at the coil junction point. I lost a nice light at the bottom of the sea. I am ok with a lanyard, but not the coil. I made my own with 1/4" bungee cord tied to 2 snaps. No joints to break. If you like the coil 2 postion, long/short. Just use 3 snaps.

Wow -- I can't think of a time I've dropped my camera and trusted the lanyard. I do let it hang when the thing is clipped up, but I don't see a lot of difference between that and a bolt snap.

My lanyard is coiled, some sort of nylon rope with elastic. One end is a bolt snap and the other is a 1/4X20 screw that threads into the tray. I trust it as much as anything, which is not entirely. I have only had to let a camera go just a few times over the years I have carried a real camera rig, Nikonos, housed film slr and now my S90/FIX. I have always clipped off to the scooter ring or a d ring on my waist strap. The thinking being that if I needed my arms, I needed them free of the camera then I would need them free of the lanyard.

But, like I said, I am considering adding two smaller snaps and lanyards to tie it in to my chest strap d rings suspending the camera lens down. Being clipped at three places, like a tripod, would be fairly stable for transport, then unclip the chest d rings when I am not in transit. My camera is fairly heavy and ungainly for a small rig due to the arms and two Inon D2000 strobes and large wide angle lens.

Over time I have found, the best place for my camera, from the beginning of the trip, once I leave my hotel or the car or whatever, until I return, is in my hands. Sometimes if there is a good camera table or a place I can snug it away and the crew is cooperative I will set it there between dives, out and in etc. Otherwise it is in my hands. Best that way with expensive stuff.

N

Dive Rite makes a bungee ( DR-BC2720-LONG HERE) for sidemount diving and that is what I use. I attach the quick link to my camera permanently and clip the bolt snap to my right D-ring. It is long enough to allow me full use of the camera when connected and allows me to drop the camera for that unexpected "oh crap" moment. I have double ender connected to the quick link also. I can clip this double ender to the tail opening of the bolt snap (on my D-ring) when not in use or climbing back on the boat. Easy camera removal by just unclipping the bolt snap.

Dive Rite makes a bungee ( DR-BC2720-LONG HERE) for sidemount diving and that is what I use. I attach the quick link to my camera permanently and clip the bolt snap to my right D-ring. It is long enough to allow me full use of the camera when connected and allows me to drop the camera for that unexpected "oh crap" moment. I have double ender connected to the quick link also. I can clip this double ender to the tail opening of the bolt snap (on my D-ring) when not in use or climbing back on the boat. Easy camera removal by just unclipping the bolt snap.

I like that idea...think I'm going to do something similar...just need to figure out how to attach the quick link to my housing.

Dove it today in the Great Lakes. I clipped the coil landyard to my left chest d-ring as some have mentioned. I also added another bolt snap to the housing so I could clip it closer to my chest. It worked well and was easy to access. I also liked having the camera in front of me so I can see it and make sure not to bang the lens into stuff.

I have a rec BC, but a couple of my buddies dive SLR's with their tech gear, down to as much as 300'. Both of them use a cable from grip to grip and then hang it from the crotch ring when they're switching gas or shooting a bag. Just don't dive below them or you get a camera in the face.

I been using a BPW set up for about 6 months now and I changed nothing from my set up which is a lanyard with a special clip at one end.

The lanyard is looped through one of the holes on the handle of my Sea $ Sea housing and clipped onto the other side

The clip looks like this

I usually loop the lanyard around my arm if I have to do gas switch using a stage bottle / pony and when hanging around on my safety stop.

Back
Top Bottom