How safe is a BCD traveling in a simple duffle bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballast:
How fragile is a BCD? Can I pack it in a duffle bag without worrying about dump valves getting crushed/broken? Should i instead look for a more structured bag for air travel?

I've used the soft duffle method without any issues. I now have an LL Bean rolling duffle because once I get to the Philippines all the gear is just too heavy to haul on my back. It has a good hard bottom on it and I throw a lot of soft stuff on top and it doesn't scream diver. 8 trips so far and no problems. Before the rolling duffle I just used a large soft duffle.

I use a soft duffle bag when I travel with my X-Tek harness and Trav-Tek wing (equivalent of the Transpac and Travel Wing). I put my fins under it and my wetsuit over it and have never had a puncture.

Until my wife demanded that I "get some class" I put all my dive gear sans computer in a GI parachute bag. No problems at all.

Now I use the cheapest large, light suitcase I can find. I figure every pound in the case is less payload I can carry and stay within the 50# limit.

I carry on my computers and, if my schedule won't allow baggage catch-up time my regs. Everything else is checked. So far no problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom