How safe is a BCD traveling in a simple duffle bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ballast

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How fragile is a BCD? Can I pack it in a duffle bag without worrying about dump valves getting crushed/broken? Should i instead look for a more structured bag for air travel?

Even though BCDs are not very fragile, I would not personally risk using a duffle bag for air travel, unless I was going to carry it on. I am concerned about the inflator hose assembly, inflator, dump valves, and possible punctures or excessive pressure placed on the bladder. I usually pack soft items like my wet suit, booties, hood, etc. around all of my checked gear when flying.

Others may disagree and have good luck with a duffle bag, but I'm not going to risk it over the long run.

Just my 2 psi.

No I agree your BC is (I assume) a relatively expensive piece of equipment. Are you also traveling with a reg? If i were you I would buy a scuba bag. You can get them cheap for around $75.

J

Thanks folks. Was planning to take my regs/computer as carry-on, but check the BCD, and fins. Price is not a limiting factor, I just have so many bags already, I was hoping not to buy yet another one. I'm running out of storage space. However, none of my current bags will fit the fins except my soft duffle bags. The hard sided luggage is not big enough. Oh well, guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy yet another bag!

ballast:
How fragile is a BCD? Can I pack it in a duffel bag without worrying about dump valves getting crushed/broken? Should i instead look for a more structured bag for air travel?

I always carry on the following in a rolling carry-on bag.

BC
Regulator
Dive Computer
Prescription Mask & Snorkel
Camera
Documentation, Passports tickets etc.

Everything else get packed in hard side luggage or heavily padded luggage from Stahlsac.
I would definitely not trust a BC in a checked duffel bag.

if you check the "hot deals" forum i believe there is a deal on travel scuba bags going on...just a thought...

I use a non descript computer bag and in that goes my bp and wing, computers and camera. In a small back pack goes a pair of shorts , tshirt and regs.

Fairly good advice above, but I'll tell you from the perspective of maybe 150+ international dive trips...

Carry on nothing. Checked gear will not likely be stolen. Why? Ever look at what dive gear is worth once it leaves the dive shop. Zip. Very little disappears from baggage these days with increased security.

Carry on your computer and perscription dive mask. In your checked bags, as above, pad your delicates with your wetsuit.

Hard cases make absolutely no sense for serious dive travel... when you start traveling to distant locations that will involve secondary aircraft- they don't well accomodate large hard suitcases- nor do liveaboards. Storage issues!

Check it, pack it well.

Pick it up at luggage. Relax and enjoy.

I've used my Akona duffel bag that has no extra padding on dozens of dive trips...i usually put my wetsuit on top of my BCD to protect the valves a little more.

Cheers.

-J.-

I put my stuff into a good quality duffel, then put the duffel into an old army surplus canvas duffel with some laundry on top of the good duffle. It should be tight and hard by now and you will not have any crushing problems.

No one steals an old army duffel - it just doesn't say "steal me" even when going through Porto Rico and if anyone looks inside all they see are my dirty shorts.

Back
Top Bottom