How old were you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Honestly....I was about 17-18 years old when I took a College weekend trip to Catalina. We did some snorkeling there and I was hooked. Although I had been to the beach alot up to that point, it was like a whole new world had opened up for me during that trip. I got certified OW at 19yrs old and have been diving since....I'm 31 yrs old now...:14:

I did much snorkeling when I was a kid. Forgot about it until a snokeling trip to PR with some divers, who were great about sharing what they were doing. So, at 27, I was hooked.

I think if I look hard enough I'll find the Sea Hunt-era knockoff masks buried somewhere in the garage back home. They leaked so bad at the time, but it was a good thing...20 years later, mask clearing was instinct.

nice stories everyone,spent my childhood living on clearwater beach fla,was snorkling since about seven. in college they offered a scuba course,couldnt wait to take it. took the 90s off from diving couldnt find any dive buddies,got back in it about 2000 on a trip to pcb fla went snorkling and after seeing all the marine life around me i fell back in love again.

started swimmimg REAL early...9 months later, I was born

I started snorkling at 6 down in the keys. First time I breathed off a reg, it was in a rock pit near Miami when I was 9. Didn't really dive until I was 13 and finally got certified when I was 19 and stationed in Hawaii in the Navy. Been hooked on it as long as I remember. Sadly, I married a woman who couldn't make it through basic scuba class due to a childhood near drowning incident and there were a few years there when I don't even think I made ten dives for the year. Got divorced in '98 and been diving like a madman ever since.

MarineVet32935:
When I was 8 years old, my dad gave me a mask and some fins, when we were camping at Ponce de Leon Springs, near Deland, FL. First time in the water I was hooked and had to be dragged out of the 72 degree water, with blue lips and wrinkled toes. I did my first scuba dive at 14 and was an avid diver by 16, though I didn't get certified until I was 21.

My daughter Laura, received her first mask and fins, literally, when she was just learning to walk. She was a natural and was snorkeling all over the pool, before she could even walk around it, without falling down. I kid her that her second pair of shoes were fins. At 8, while camping in the Keys, I gave her my pony bottle and a two pound weight, to carry in her hands. The campsite had a small, roped off swimming area, where she could see and swim with tropical fish in about 5' of water. She was hooked and started her OW class, a week before her 12th birthday. She's 21 now and looking forward to the day when she can show my grand-daughter the wonders of the sea.

Oh, and that's not my grand-daughter pictured in my avatar, that's my youngest daughter, Jordy, now 4.

How old were you when you first discovered snorkeling and diving?

22, fresh from Vietnam. I had a small apartment very close to the beach in La Jolla, CA I went in the ocean daily, most of the time solo, with a small 50 cf steel tank. A great tonic for all that came before. Wish I would have started early like so many on this thread.

At some point in my early teens I learned to use mask, fins, and snorkel.

When I was 21, during my last year at Marquette University I took a scuba class, but wasn't able to complete all the pool sessions, and thus never got certified.

I started another class when I was about 27 or 28, but once again I was unable to complete the course.

In 2001 (age 46) I did an Intro scuba dive at Moloikini Crater (Maui). I knew then that I would, indeed, finally complete a course and achieve Open Water certification.

I was 48 when I got me C-card (June, 2004), and have spent as much of my holiday time as possible making up for lost time.

I was 14 when I snorkeled for the 1st time in Hawaii. I was hooked for 20 years. For some unknown reason I waited until I was 34 to become certified (trip to Hawaii again). Now I love diving. I wish I lived somewhere warmer so I could dive year round!!!

I was YMCA certified at age 15. My checkout dives were a 45 minute boat ride from Marine Park in Brooklyn. I didn't really begin diving avidly until I could afford flights to places with warm water and more that 5 feet of visibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom