How old were you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At 7 years old my dad got me a wet suit and took me to the ocean. I had always been a good swimmer and he was quite fond of ab diving. We also lived in the northeren part of sonoma county. That day in april I got in the water up to my neck and got my first limit of 4 ab's.needless to say I was hooked on the ocean but did not get SCUBA cert until I was 27.

48. And I now consider my first 47 years a waste!

MarineVet32935:
When I started this thread, I thought some would give me heat about putting a tank on an 8 year old. Glad to see I'm not the only one.

My 6 year old son regularly cleans the pool with my pony setup in a small school style backpack. with fins and mask, he's slightly neg buoyant. Of course I'm in there with him. His 4 year old sister also breathes off the reg, but stays mostly on the surface watching him on the bottom(5 ft.) Now if I can just convince him that mowing the lawn is as much fun!

I first dove at the age of 7 in the neihborhood pool
I was certified at 12 and have been non-stop diving ever since

I used to watch T.V. shows like Jacque Cousteau and knew I would like to dive. When I was about 33 I went on a cruise and rented some snorkel gear. It was great. There was an airplane frame in about 10 feet of water. I would take a breath and dive down to the bottom. I was only able to look for a few seconds and had to surface again. From then on I knew for sure I wanted to be certified.

The local dive shop charged $400+ to certify. While on a trip to Spain (I was 40) I found a dive shop that would do it for less than $300 U.S. I talked my wife into it and she, my two boys and I certified. Since then my wife hasn't dived, but my boys and I have. The boys and I really enjoy it. It's a good opportunity to have quality family time too. They're doing something they like to do, with me, and I can get them to open up easier.

Bill B.

Snorkled for the first time at 30 in Hawaii, tried scuba the next day. I thought it was cool but very scary. Got certified a year later and went to Curacao for some really awesome diving. Cant wait to go back!

I was certified on my 12th birthday. The earliest age at which I could do it at the time. Now you can be 10. I've always snorkled before I was certified.

Got certified at 19.
Got hooked. Dropped out of college to become a dive instructor. Love the career, want to eventually take it someplace tropical. I am part of the core instructional staff at a hop I'm proud to be part of. And I'm going back to school (the parents are relieved).
It's been a crazy few years. I'm glad I discovered it when I did and went about things the way I did. Though it's given new meaning to starving student, I get to put myself through school with a job I love.

well i was about 12 years old or so sometime around there when i first seen my uncle richey diving and thoght man wouldent that be cool if i could do that (that was the time the nova show came out). well when i turned 16 I asked my parents to sign me up for scuba leasson and the rest is in the past ever since i have been hooked on the sport and love it.

Big Cousteau* fan over here. Despite this fascination I never snorkeled nor dove before until three years ago in Greece on Rhodes [Rodos]. I was 31 at the time.

Discovered I couldn't see a thing underwater without the prescription glasses mask and it almost ruined the experience for me. But, I got that mask last year which lead to my OW certification in Hurghada in September 2005.

Plans for this year: dive, dive and dive some more... Oh, yes - and get me a red cap*. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom