How old were you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watched Lloyd Bridges in "Sea Hunt" as a kid, snorkeled in lakes and pools. (Always did want to learn scuba, but alas, got married, had kids and put it off until I could AFFORD it!
Took a resort course in Play del Carmen at 43 and vowed to certify the moment I got back to Texas. Did it, too. Now just turning 50 and having a BLAST!

MarineVet32935:
When I was 8 years old, my dad gave me a mask and some fins, when we were camping at Ponce de Leon Springs, near Deland, FL. First time in the water I was hooked and had to be dragged out of the 72 degree water, with blue lips and wrinkled toes. I did my first scuba dive at 14 and was an avid diver by 16, though I didn't get certified until I was 21.

My daughter Laura, received her first mask and fins, literally, when she was just learning to walk. She was a natural and was snorkeling all over the pool, before she could even walk around it, without falling down. I kid her that her second pair of shoes were fins. At 8, while camping in the Keys, I gave her my pony bottle and a two pound weight, to carry in her hands. The campsite had a small, roped off swimming area, where she could see and swim with tropical fish in about 5' of water. She was hooked and started her OW class, a week before her 12th birthday. She's 21 now and looking forward to the day when she can show my grand-daughter the wonders of the sea.

Oh, and that's not my grand-daughter pictured in my avatar, that's my youngest daughter, Jordy, now 4.

How old were you when you first discovered snorkeling and diving?

Age 12 - Snorkled in the Keys with my Pops

Age 14 (or was it 15?) - Found myself back in the Keys with Pops, snorkled above a reef, took in sight of a Nurse Shark (what I know now that's what it was, then, with those small eyes of mine, I thought it was JAWS himself, or herself). Said to myself, 'I want down there! Face to face with it all!'

And the rest is my colorful history with the great, deep blue!

Oh yeah, five years, I was in seal training. Then commercial diving school.

ROCK!!

I started swimming at age 5, then started snorking at 10. I was always swimming in pools and lakes till I was 18. Then I join the armforces and for years I didn't do anything in the water.Then I guess I was about 32 years old and I bought my first boat and started swimming again and teaching the kids how to swim. Then at age 43 I started diving and got certified, now all want to do is dive and I'm addicted to buying scuba gear and toys. Now my little star of my life is going for her OW certification this spring.

Back
Top Bottom