How old is "vintage" gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm kind of vintage, in this photo I have my bright USIA dry suit, a stainless backplate and wing, twin 1970's 72's, a Posidon/Kerby Morgan Super flow single hose as my secondary (runing inflator hose for dry suit and BC, and dive computert and UWATEC bottom timer, and a DA Aqua Master/Pheniox nozzle double hose.

So there is vintage, and there is vintage.

PetePRAM1.jpg

No, there is vintage, there is modern, and there is an intermediate transitional period. What you are is eclectic.

I'm kind of vintage, in this photo I have my bright USIA dry suit, a stainless backplate and wing, twin 1970's 72's, a Posidon/Kerby Morgan Super flow single hose as my secondary (runing inflator hose for dry suit and BC, and dive computert and UWATEC bottom timer, and a DA Aqua Master/Pheniox nozzle double hose.

So there is vintage, and there is vintage.

PetePRAM1.jpg

The only things being used that are vintage are the mouthpiece, clamps, regulator cans and tanks. Maybe a few internal parts. Everything else is modern because you can buy most of that stuff at a local DS today.

This is vintage:
Robandsusan_edited-1.jpg

Please keep vintage and eclectic separate. You want to dive with a double hose with all the do dads, then do so. Just don't expect NAVED people to accept you as diving vintage. As is said, "An exhaust hose on your regulator does not a vintage diver make".......Yoda

How does the Phoenix nozzle fit in?

Define fit in. Do you mean in regards to vintage? It isn't if that is what you are asking. The purpose of the Phoenix basically was to update the DA Aquamaster to a balanced 1st stage which uses modern Titan parts and to add ports for HP and LP accessories. BUT, it is not considered vintage per se. Again, eceletic ain't all bad. Just accept the fact it is ecelectic and don't feel offended if true vintage equipped divers have an objection to your "vintage" claim.

Lastly, you seem to be very interested in double hose diving. If so, move on to the real double house forum and home to NAVED. www.vintagedoublehose.com

How does the Phoenix nozzle fit in?

It is not vintage but one of the great things about the Phoenix is that by simply removing the hoses only a few people will notice the conversion. The Phoenix adds about 3/4 inch to the length of the assembled regulator, sometimes this causes fit issues with some back packs and smaller diameter tanks.

I dive my Phoenix conversions with fully modern wings, plates and the rest, no pretense whatsoever for vintage.

The forum at Vintage Double Hose is the main vintage community forum.

N

Yeah, I like DH regs. I learned to dive on one back in the '60s and I've always had an affinity for them. I have been lurking around vintagedoublehose.com, reading the posts. I also registered on the NAVED site under the same screen name I use here.

I have been shifting back and forth between getting a Phoenix nozzle and just using a banjo and Hookah adapter (to comply with charter ops requirements) and leaving my AM original.

How about my old SP MkV and R 109/R 108's?

Probably not. It is neither old enough nor does it fit within the methods, techniques or training that so distinguish vintage era diving from the current plastic era.

Said before and say again, if you have something you like and enjoy, by all means do so, nobody is going to snub you for it. Those are great regulators you have by the way, keepers for sure vintage or not.

Vintage:

IMG_0617.jpg

Not vintage but eclectic and not at all configured vintage:

IMG_0632.jpg

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom