How often should seals be replaced on shell drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwalko

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Bare suit that is about 3 years old. Only use it a dozen or so times a year (other times, dive wet).

The neck seal is very comfortable...just the right amount of stretch so that it seals well, but isn't too tight (Latex seals).

I bought a new seal as a backup...however, I don't want to replace the current one if I don't have to. Looking at it closely, there doesn't appear to be any dry-rot, but I'm also don't want to have it fail at the wrong moment.

How can i tell when it is time to replace?

Thanks;

John

I replace mine when they leak.... My current Viking is about 10 years old, has 700 dives on it. I replaced the wrist seals before a trip west last fall, but the neck seal is the original one...

take good care of them and replace when they get a tare ore leak. keep them away from direct sun for long periods. do not store them close to high ozone areas (hot water heater ,furnace EXt....)

Sometimes they will warn you when they are about to fail, other times they just fail while you are putting them on. There is a reason the Si-Tech system and DUI ZIP seals are so popular.

Most of the time, latex will develop some changes that will warn you that the seal is too old. These can include starting to stick to itself, cracking on the surface, or getting flabby (a seal that was tight enough becomes too loose). Of course, you can tear a seal at any time, but I personally have not had a seal FAIL (come apart without some kind of management error being made) without giving me plenty of warning.

Thanks for the replies. I rinse, dry and use powder on the seals after every dive. My concern was tearing when donning/doffing. I try to be careful...but I did tear a cuff seal when trying to remove the suit...difficult buggers. Didn't matter so much with the cuff, because I use dry gloves.

Thanks again;

John

Keep your finger nails trimmed too.

My friend came over today and we replaced the wrist seals with the Si-Tech permanent system and put a new latex seal onto the neck. It was amazing how trashed his seals were and yet they were still functioning. Sticky, soft, cracking, and just plain ugly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom