How often do you check your gauges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Still a newb, but about every 5 minutes.
I don't check that often, but as I posted, most of my dives don't exceed 30' these days. But deeper than that I would say that's about how often I check--even more often than that if 80', 100', etc. Depends on the depth. I don't think every 5 minutes is really too often at any depth, nor is it strictly a "newbie" thing.
In my final year assisting OW courses I noticed PADI put more emphasis on students knowing how much Air they had left--you'd ask them by signalling and they were supposed to signal back to within 300 PSI (I believe). Not a bad idea.

. . .
As the OP questioned, I have also considered the possibility of becoming complacent after diving for awhile, & have decided to I'd rather be OCD about our air, than wish I had. :rolleyes:

Agreed that I'd rather err on the side of "OCD" than "complacent." But ideally, I'd like to hit the sweet spot--not just for checking my gauges but for every safety measure involved in my diving. If the main goal of this pastime is to have fun, then being obsessive and doing more than truly necessary in the interest of safety detracts from that. If you're constantly checking your gauges or whatever, you might miss that whale shark. Of course, since "how much is enough" is impossible to nail down, I think most of us try to err on the side of a little more rather than a little less.

Back
Top Bottom