How much would you pay to dive here????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wildcard:
We are looking at a new dive operation here in Alaska. So here is the plan. From Scenic Homer Alaska, halibut capitol of the world, you catch a water taxi ride to beautiful Sadie cove and a world class resort. This is a roadless area backed by the kenai mtns and the Harding ice field wilderness area. You do 2/3 dives then spend the rest of your day exploring Kachemak bay by kayak or tour boat. You spend the night at the lodge while enjoying fantastic food and scenery. The next day you do two or three more dives, lunch then back to the mainland.
Dive highlights would include wolf fish, anemones(sp) starfish, rock fish and 70 pound octos as well as the biggest halibut you will ever see. Spearfishing would also be available.
Rental gear would be available as would OW, AOW and dry suit certs.
The boat ride, food and lodging run about 300-350 for two.
Would you pay $600 for a package? If not how much?
We were kicking this around today and I was wondering if it was doable????
Let me know what you think. Thanks!

I think the price is right, but I'd want the following:

Options for additional nights, dives, etc and an option for non-divers (wife doesn't dive, doesn't mind waiting around for a morning, but refuses to let me go on a trip without her). Basically, ala carte pricing.

What are the conditions like in that area? Water temp, viz, entry, etc.

Sounds like a great idea!

yea,...is it chilly? any bugs?

Wildcard -

I almost visited Homer a few years back. I called several outfits there asking about diving. I was also interested in seeing the Puffins and going out on the ocean to see big ocean creatures.

The only reason I did not do the trip was the transportation issue. At the time I was calling, I would have to secure a small plane and could only take a carry on, and there was no way to "get around" once I got there. I spoke to a few B&B's but scheduling extras, like the puffins, I would have to do myself with one of the local small boat owners once I got there - not encouraging.

My point is that you have an incredible untapped destination. Probably having a good selection of dry suits would help too, most dive "tourists" don't own a dry suit, so you would have to train them.

As far as price, I think that divers easily shell out 1K-plus for a week of diving, as others have mentioned, but most divers don't travel that far for just a couple of days' diving - and most divers don't do dives "on the side," it is usually the main reason for their visit.

So, maybe reconsider the focus of your clients' visit. Think about offering longer dive vacations and schedule the extras for them on the side - instead of the other way around.

WHAT DO DIVERS WANT? MORE DIVES!!

Keep us informed. We may see you soon :)

Patti

Thanks for all the input folks! We do have some cruse ships coming to Homer now so day trips may be an option. I'll be home tomorrow and will talk with they guys again about the ideas y'all have given me here. Thanks again.

I would certainly think about it. My wife would take a lot of convincing. She is not a big fan of cold water, but is a huge fan of getting off the beaten path and Alaska is certainly an untapped dive destination. My guess is if we were planning a trip to Alaska anyway, I might be able to convince her to spend a couple days diving. I don't know if I could get her to go there purely for the diving.

You will have to be prepared to do a lot of drysuit certs. There is certainly a market for this (look at the success of British Columbia and Iceland diving). The advantage you have is that Alaska has a lot of tourism infrastructure.

Marketing could be a challenge. You are going after hardier divers - I suspect they will not be plentiful on the cruise ships. You may want to look at partnering with some of the more hardcore adventure tour companies.

I think it's a great idea.

Years ago I had the opportunity to dive across the bay from Homer Spit and also around the point (Seldovia?). It was an opportunity of a lifetime and worth all the trouble of getting there! Having said that, I was fortunate enough to live in Anchorage at the time.

I don't know if you could make a go of it trying to make a dive destination out of it. Its a long drive from Anchorage or a short but $$ flight. I have not visited the lodge you refer to but if its the one I think it is its NICE. There wouldn't be too much for a non diver to do except sightsee because an out of state hunting or fishing license can be $$.

The cruise angle would probably be your best bet because most of the expense of getting there is already paid for, although most people would want to be back on board the same day. Also the water is cold even in summer (yes Alaska has four seasons June, July, August and Winter). Even though I have gone ice diving in Alaska I still remember putting warm water from a thermos bottle in my three fingered gloves in Seldovia. Someone asked about bugs and the answer to that question is --- The mosquito is the unofficial Alaskan State Bird when they are in season.

The area is BEAUTIFUL and I hope you can work out the kinks because it is still one of the few remaining pristine dives around.

Best of Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom