How much would you pay for a Steel Tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shogan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What would you pay for a lp steel 72 with a current hydro (lets say a late 80' mfg date).

And would you buy that or a just a new one for $200

You have to be careful with the old 72's. Some places have a problem filling them. When I worked in the Keys, they wouldn't fill ANY steel tanks. Now they have a problem filling older ones and even some Alum. I have one over 30 years old with a J valve that still passes, just had to strip off that plastic like coating.

I bought one LP 72 for $60 and I had to pay for hydro and VIP. This tank got the '+' rating. Total cost to me was less than $150.

I am in the process of buying another LP 72 for $100 plus hydro and VIP. The extra money is because it still has the original Voit label and that neat metal stand that was used to support the tank before boots came along. It also has the original web harness. The extras are worth a little more to me.

Buying a tank that has current hydro doesn't say much about the internals. I would certainly want a new VIP. Then the tank would be worth something around $100 or less based on buying a tank for $60 and having to spend $35 for hydro and $10 for VIP.

I don't think you can buy a new LP 72 or at least not one with the old buoyancy characteristics.

Richard

XS Scuba makes the LP 77 for $200. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for one those tanks. 40-50 to get it up to date. It's worth the extra jsut to buy new for me.

What would you pay for a lp steel 72 with a current hydro (lets say a late 80' mfg date).

And would you buy that or a just a new one for $200

I paid 50 bucks for mine. I had to pay 40 bucks extra for hydro, vip and a fill. I had my valve

Brand new steel Fabar 12 liter bombs $375 or 250 pounds

$50 seems to be a normal price for galvanized LP72s. If they're not pitted or corroded inside, they'll almost certainly pass hydro. I never heard of anyone refusing to fill them as long as they're current on inspections. I'd pay $75 for one in hydro. The bit about fill stations in the keys refusing to fill "any steel" tanks is, unfortunately, emblematic of the ignorance that surrounds compressed gas cylinders in the scuba industry.

The LP80 is a neat tank, especially if you're vertically challenged.

75 here as well. Any shop refusing to fill old steel tanks in hydro and vis is one to stay away from as they are idiots. I have 72's from 53 and 55. Both I'd trust anytime.

The bit about fill stations in the keys refusing to fill "any steel" tanks is, unfortunately, emblematic of the ignorance that surrounds compressed gas cylinders in the scuba industry.

Let me get this straight: part of Florida won't fill steel tanks at all and the other part will gladly overfill them?

There's just no hope...

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom