How much weight would you add?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmurray719

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How much weight would you all for a 7mm step in vest like this one?:

Bare 7mm Arctic Vest, Mens

It's a women's size 12 (large). Google wasn't at all helpful, and other than a wild guess of 6-8 lbs, I can't even figure out a good starting point!

Steel or AL tanks/size, BCD, BP/W - steel or AL, salt water or fresh? PADI has a good guide in the AOW manual to get you started. Info in kg below. Buoyancy check is best of course but this should get you on the right track.

Salt Water estimates for average builds:
Exposure Suit Begin With
Swimsuit or dive skin .5-2kg
3mm, one piece wet suits or shorties 5% of body weight
5mm, Two-piece wetsuit 10% of body weight
7mm, Two-piece wet suit w/hood & boots 10% of body weight, plus 1.5-3kg

Weight to be added for fresh water to salt water or subtracted salt water to fresh water:
Body Weight Add/Subtract
45-56kg - 2kg
57-70kg - 2.3kg
71-85kg - 3kg
86-99kg - 3.2kg

*Add 2kg to compensate for increased buoyancy at end of dive (based on an aluminum 80CF/12L tank)

I'd throw it in the bathtub or pool and pile weights on it until it sank. Then I'd add those weights to my belt and do a buoyancy check on my next dive.

Steel or AL tanks/size, BCD, BP/W - steel or AL, salt water or fresh? PADI has a good guide in the AOW manual to get you started. Info in kg below.
Sorry, I wasn't too clear...I already know how much weight I need with my 7mm one piece and other gear, I just need to figure out how much to add for the vest.

I'd throw it in the bathtub or pool and pile weights on it until it sank. Then I'd add those weights to my belt and do a buoyancy check on my next dive.
But then I'll have a soaking wet vest to take with me.... way better to see if someone else has already done the work to figure it out :D

Last edited:
It is a guess. The only way is to try it yourself. Start with a bit more weight then take off a pound at a time. Could be as much as 8 lbs. or as little as 2 lbs. My guess is 3 or 4 lbs.

Back
Top Bottom