How much to learn to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mine was $395 for all gear except fins, snorkel and mask. Also included online course, pool dives and ow dives. $20 a day entrance fee for the quarry.

Southwest burbs of Chicago

I don't understand why so many places seem to insist you buy certain bits of kit before an OW course*. Most dive centres have spare masks, fins and those daft tubes that flap about on your head and don't work underwater.

I find it particularly stupid that novices are forced to buy fins. Fins are a very personal thing, and I would always advise somebody to borrow a few pairs before buying to see what works for them. The average price for a set of fins seems to be around £100 ($150), which is not an inconsiderable amount to waste if you find out they give you a cramp or tire you.

* Actually I do - it's $$$!

Here is Chicago suburbs it is all over the place. For giggles one day I made a marrix of 7-8 LDS and their fees for OW. It was crazy there was everything from $60 for the instructor + rentals+pool entry+fills+Training materials+++++ to a LDS that was $500 + $75 for crew pack and $200 for OW dives not including entry.

Most are between $350 and $500 to get the cert depending on what they include. None include MFS. Personally I do not like the +++ method. when I got my OW I was told $120 for classroom pool / $60 for OW. but then I was asked for $12 day to get in the pool, 20 day for quarry entry, $30 in air fills along the way.... and on and on... I wanted to know what I needed to plan on spending. I do not carry much cash these days and constantly being asked for $7 was annoying.

Back
Top Bottom