How much should a used tank cost?

How much should I have to pay for a used AL80?

• under $40

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • $41-$60

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • $61-$80

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • $81-$100

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • over $100

Votes: 1 2.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M&P+4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
THis is my first shot at posting a poll - so bear with me...

For this poll let's assume that the tank is an AL80 manufactured by Luxfer or Catalina after 1990 with a current hydro and visual. THe tank is in good shape with no significant damage.

under $40
$41 to $60
$61 to $80
$81 to $100
over $101

alot has to do on the condition if the paint is all scratched and it looks bad but is in good working order it will be less. However if it is older but looks good it will still be worth more.

Let's see...I can get a new tank for about $150, tax included. I wouldn't pay more than $100 for a used tank, including shipping. Also, if it's shipped, then the current visual doesn't matter because your LDS will require a new one before they fill it.

Oh, and how current is the hydro. If you need a new hydro in a year, then the price drops even more.

I've bought used tanks on ebay in the past for decent prices, but lately it seems like there are a lot of ignorant buyers on there. Either that or they just get caught up in the auction format. I've seen tanks out of hydro sell for over $100!! By the time they pay for shipping, a new hydro, and a vip, they could have bought a new tank and a fill card!!!

not worth it..new alum 80 is $210. with a 20 fill air pass card..a fill here is $8..So you have $160. worth of air fills when you buy a tank from us here in NY.In reality you are paying only $50. for a brand new,hydro'ed vip'ed tank..do not be foolish and buy used,especially if near us..

oly5050user:
not worth it..new alum 80 is $210. with a 20 fill air pass card..a fill here is $8..So you have $160. worth of air fills when you buy a tank from us here in NY.In reality you are paying only $50. for a brand new,hydro'ed vip'ed tank..do not be foolish and buy used,especially if near us..

Air fills can be a factor to consider - my LDS has only charges me for about half the fills I have recieved. I have a punch card that I paid $25 for ten fills. I bought two brand new tank that sat in the shop for a year for $120 two years ago and am only on my second fill card with over 100 dives logged between me, my wife and daughter.

This depends on where you live. A new cylinder in Central FL is about $120 on sale. Look at when the hydro is due, too. That can cost $25 and up. A new cylinder may not require the extensive nitrox cleaning, either. My daughter's new Catalina 80 was $80 this spring, Nitrox'ed and ready to go. I provided an almost-new Sherwood valve and they cleaned it as part of the deal. This was a special sale price at a local dive store chain. We probably save five bucks each time we fill it, instead of rent. That means the payoff is about 40 dives, and it will need VIP in a year. Buying a tank has a relatively long payoff. Here a wetsuit rents for $10-15 a day, and you can get a new 3mm for less than $100. That is a much better investment.

Depends, VIP/Hydro cost money, if its due on the tank, I will pay less.

I've seen many used tanks on craigslist.com especially AL80 for 50-80 dollars.
the 50 one needed hydro and vip.

How much for hydro?

catalina al80, i bought two from sports chalet for $99 each new, so i wouldnt pay a lot for a used one, and as a matter of fact i gave them away 6 months latter to a friend after i bought my hp 120's:wink:

I would say $50 to $75 depending on condition, how many years left in hydro or months left in visual.

New tanks cost about $120-$165 depending on location for AL 80. I've only seen a few that do it as a combo to include air fills, but after looking at most of those "deals" they don't seem that bad if you're getting local air fills.

However, you can often find new tanks on sale/special. I bought two new ones for $99 each. I've seen a LDS sell them for $99 to $120 on special. Ironically I've also seen another LDS sell used tanks for $110. So I guess price varies.

catalina al80, i bought two from sports chalet for $99 each new, so i wouldnt pay a lot for a used one, and as a matter of fact i gave them away 6 months latter to a friend after i bought my hp 120's:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom