How much light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
In the process of acquiring gear and now asking about lights. I need 2, one for each of us. While I would love to have some nice can lights ~$1000 each is not going to happen any time in the near future.

I have lots of flashlights now with most being Surefire up to about 750 lumen. How does that translate into water? I also know that beam focus will make a big difference. I have a 150 lumen light with a narrow beam that will far out distance my 750 lumen. On the other hand the 750 will really light up an area and about 2/3 the distance of the 150.

I see lots of backup lights in the 200-250 lumen range and my EDC (everyday carry) light is a 200 lumen light and I am very happy with it. Problem is I dont see how it can be very bright in the water. This leaves me looking at ~1000 lumen lights which leads me to another question. Is there such a thing as too much light? I know in some dive videos I have seen, and top side experience, that depending on what you are lighting a lot of that light can reflect back actually making it harder to see.

So where to start or what to look for?

I found 2 lights posted on another section of this board but could not find any actual review. Any thoughts on these;
MJ-876-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd ~$150

MJ-878-Shenzhen MINJUN Electronic Co.,Ltd ~250

Don't forget you can buy something like a UK sl4 or 6 and do an LED conversion. I've been pleased with mine.

sent via nookcolor N2A.

I can't tell from your post what the application is. Do you want a light for video, or a dive light? Are you doing advanced diving with wreck and cave penetration (requiring a canister light as a primary with a backup), or just a light for general night diving, etc...

LED lights have gotten a lot better in recent years, with dropping costs. Also, a narrow beam is often better for punching through murky water than a wide beam (say, on a video light).

I got a Hollis LED3 for my son, it's terrific, only $89! Diving Backup Lights - Dive Gear Express

I used to use one of these as a focus light and light for a night dive. VERY bright (4600 lumens), but it really annoyed my dive buddies.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much light, but not in Puget Sound. Tropical night dives are less fun, I think, with 21W HID lights, because long before you get to them, all the really nocturnal critters have gone into hiding :)

But in our murky water, strong light is necessary. I think there's a point of diminishing returns, though, where more wattage doesn't really result in a better dive (but does raise the price), which is why I've stuck with 21W HIDs, instead of going to the 35W or bigger. (This doesn't hold for video lights, though -- there, the more light, the better the video.)

There are some pretty nice hand-held lights with a fairly bright and focused beam (the Dorcy Penetrators come to mind) but they are very small and the amount of light "spill" is pretty low. They're good for signaling, but not as good for illuminating the underwater world. But at two for $100 (when Piranha puts them on sale) they're a pretty darned good buy.

You can buy hand-held 10W HID lights for $200 to $400 (higher priced when rechargeable). I don't like them, because if you need to do something with your hands, you have to drop them, and then they spin and give your buddy a "disco ball" experience. Used canister lights can also be a good buy. HIDs go on the market, as people decide to transition to LED lights. I bought the last can light we have for $400 (21W 4.5 ah). Dive Rite used to make a less expensive HID light, but apparently, they no longer do. I've also heard good things about the Solas lights, although I haven't seen one in the water yet. They're still several hundred dollars, but that's just "ouch", and not the scream of agony of an $1800 Halcyon can light . . .

(This doesn't hold for video lights, though -- there, the more light, the better the video.)

I used to think that too, then I found Magic Filters. Even my 4600 lumen video light gave very disappointing results, and unless the water is crystal clear and very dark (i.e. cave diving), trying to punch through ocean water with video lights is difficult, and often requires more than one to get a coverage area to match a wide angle or fisheye lens. The filters change all that, giving you detail in wide seascapes, wrecks, etc.... far beyond the range of even the best video lights.

This isn't a shallow Caribbean reef. This is 60 feet deep in a fairly murky quarry:

[VIMEO]31708612[/VIMEO]

I like the Hong Kong lights but the ones you listed are overpriced. You can buy quality Hong Kong lights for much less. Xtar makes some very nice lights with rechargeable batteries and adjustable brightness for under $100. Pop-lite are less but lower power and less robust.

I have the Xtar D01 which beats the Dorcy and many UK lights

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ve-light-w-electrodeless-magnetic-switch.html

and I think they have some newer lights now. Other sources for HK lights are Dealextreme.com and Novaeproducts.com

Adam

Thanks for the thoughts and the links. I will look at them soon.

As for use it would be a general all around light. As TSandM said water here is murky so even on a clear day at mild depth light can come in handy. Also if we decided to do night dives we need lights. The biggest thing I have heard they are good for is looking in cracks and tight places. I am just use to having high end lights that put out a lot of light. I gave up D cell maglite's years ago because they are huge little output.

The SL4 by Underwater Kinetics is 400 lumins and is only $81.95. You can check them out on the link below

The SL4 by Underwater Kinetics is 400 lumins and is only $81.95. You can check them out on the link below

heck they could get the incandescent model and do the conversion much cheaper. the drop in module is only about $8 FWIW

sent via nookcolor N2A.

I like the Dorcy lights from pirahna at 2 for 90 bucks. Like em enough to own 5 of them. I use them for back up lights, daytime primaries, backups and primaries for students on night, deepn and low vis dives. In our quarries things like the UK shockwaves and and other similar lights do not perform as well. The Dorcy's give you the penetration you need. I call em my little light sabers. Bigger lights, unless they have a narrow beam, may light up a wider area but do give the penetration I like. Much of the light is reflected off of the particles in the water creating a high beam in the fog effect.

My own primary lights are a Salvo 12 watt rebel LED can and now a HOG 21 watt HID also. More than the OP needs but work for me.

Back
Top Bottom