How much light is optimum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greendiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well I have been searching for a while now and am more confused than when I started. I am in need of a primary dive light and would like to build one myself. I am guaranteed to learn quite a bit in this process. The thing that I have to ask those of you who have been down this road before is this....
What kind of output would be considered optimum? Mostly quarries and such. I am in the Midwest so murky waters and limited vis is the norm. I assume with this, a fine pencil like beam will probably be best. But, how much?
Thanks for your thoughts and any suggestions!

I would suggest you pick up the book from airspeed press about building lights, also there is a good bit of information on the DIY forums about this topic also. however with that said, I looked into building one and even had access to a lathe, milling maching, and various other tools and decided it would be best to buy a salvo.

though I haven't done it yet as I lost my job it came down to cost and quality, it was going to be fairly involved to build my own and though I prefer to build my own gear I didn't think I could top the quality of what is already in production.

in murky water, brighter is better for me so I would go with something in the 21W HID + range if at all possible, what I have now is 10Wish and it works but more would be better I think.

So you feel a little underpowered with your 10? What is the beam like?

FWIW (just info I've garnered from SB)
.. I have read many similar posts as NorthWoodsDiver's about going for a 20w HID instead of a 10w if you can .. even 35w, but I've also seen posts about how 35w may be too bright at times

Go LED. Then you can dim it down if its too bright.

A much more important question is what sort of beam do you want?
Wide at 15deg + or narrow at 8deg or less?

I have a LED system that uses 12watt ( or configurable to 22watt) and produces a true 8 deg beam and its comparable to a 21w HID.
For my use its optimum. If I wanted more light it would mean a bigger light head. If I want less I just change to a lower mode.
The only draw back ( And this is the only advantage HID offers IMHO) is that its fixed focus. But thats not really a concern for me.

I'd skip making your own light, and just buy one from Packhorse! :D

He mods a light with outstanding results.

As to output, I have a 10W HID (approx 500 lumens), and it is good for the majority of situations I am in. However, more is always more better!!

The thing one must factor in is that more power = more battery drain = shorter burn time. My HID burns about 6 hours on a charge. The same battery in a 21W would burn under 3 hours.

The HUGE downside to HID lights are the expense of the bulb. My 10W went, and they want $100 for the bulb... I had used it for 2 years, maybe 100 dives. So not the most appealing expense for such a short life. It likely was damaged traveling back from FL, but I did have it in carry on. HID lights are also useless topside. They overheat in minutes if not designed for topside use.

I will order the book from Airspeed press as suggested. A narrow beam is what I am looking for, it should help to reduce reflection from particles in the water. Is something comparable to 20w HID output reasonable for a 1st time builder using LED? Meaning about 12w then?

I've seen a picture of one of Packhorse's lamps in action, and that thing is piercing!

I appreciate the feedback. Without knowing my desired output, I really couldn't plan or begin anything. I have found a pretty good source of LED items at DX and am hoping that most other items can be found locally.

Back
Top Bottom