How much lift for double-95s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonMurray

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a set of double 104's that I am diving with a Halcyon Evolve 60lb Wing. I hae purchased a set of Double 95's. I am a bit concerned about pinching the wing under the tanks (on the deck) - but aside from that, do you think the 60lb. Evolve wing will perform Ok with this smaller set of tanks?

I have a set of double 104's that I am diving with a Halcyon Evolve 60lb Wing. I hae purchased a set of Double 95's. I am a bit concerned about pinching the wing under the tanks (on the deck) - but aside from that, do you think the 60lb. Evolve wing will perform Ok with this smaller set of tanks?

Minimum wing lift is a function of the buoyancy of the diver's exposure suit + the weight of the back gas.

2x 104's hold ~16 lbs of air or nitrox,

2 x 95 hold ~15 lbs of air or nitrox,

Unless your suit is ~42 lbs + buoyant with minimum gas in it a 60 lbs wing is *more* than enough.

If your drysuit is in the "normal" range of 20-30 lbs buoyant you could use a smaller wing.

Tobin

Thanks for the input Tobin, my drysuit I'm certain would be in the "normal" range. Nothing unusual about it.

I'm really more concerned about the performance of the wing with regard to tacoing, etc. The lift should be adequate - but do I need a "smaller" wing?

Thanks for the input Tobin, my drysuit I'm certain would be in the "normal" range. Nothing unusual about it.

I'm really more concerned about the performance of the wing with regard to tacoing, etc. The lift should be adequate - but do I need a "smaller" wing?

All doubles wings will taco to a certain extent. It's unavoidable because unlike a narrow singles wing, doubles wing can only inflate out board of the outline of the back plate.

Will a 60 ruin your day when you could be using a sub 50 lbs wing?

Probably not. It will make fully venting the wing a little more work.

You own the 60, go try it.

Tobin

I'm really more concerned about the performance of the wing with regard to tacoing, etc.

The 95s and 104s are both 8" diameter tanks, so the amount of "tacoing" from side to side should be pretty much the same between the two. You'll probably be paying more attention to shifts in body and/or weight distribution in order to trim out the slightly shorter tanks.

The 95s and 104s are both 8" diameter tanks, so the amount of "tacoing" from side to side should be pretty much the same between the two. You'll probably be paying more attention to shifts in body and/or weight distribution in order to trim out the slightly shorter tanks.

Contrary to popular belief tank diameter has almost no effect on tank wrap, aka "taco".

Manifold spacing does, but almost all modern manifolds are 215 mm.

Tobin

Contrary to popular belief tank diameter has almost no effect on tank wrap, aka "taco".

For some reason, I remember double-95s taking up more space in my trunk (I can get two sets in, whereas with our 7.25" dubs I can squeeze an extra AL80 next to them), all have standard manifolds. But what you say makes perfect sense, 'll have to test this out again.

Below is a composite photo of the same wing wrapping 7 inch and 8 inch cylinders.

Both sets of tanks use 215mm center to center manifolds

There's ~3/4" more "taco" on the small bottles, hardly noticeable.

Torus_38.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom