Votes: 46 25.1%
  • $4000 - $5000

Votes: 44 24.0%
  • my wife's gonna kill me

Votes: 50 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With the compressor and all the maintenance equipment for servicing my gear, all my tec,rec, and wifes gear, Sons to start, were looking at 80k. And I've only been certified since 3/05. Worse than any drug habbit, but what a rush!!! Gotta love it!![/quote

Obviously you've never had a drug habbit. $100 a day is common. That comes to $91250 in that time frame. You'd be amazed how rescorceful addicts can be.

Well, it's safe to say I dropped ALL my high school graduation money on equipment. I got a computer for last Christmas (which I chipped in on), then I got a new computer for cheap for working at my LDS. I'm up there, with just my full kit (no tanks yet....:cry:)

On the bright (maybe dark?) side, that Transpac + travel wing and tanks might set me back close to another 1k :D

Ya'll need a Sailor...or sailoret in my case, she buys me gear to make up for deployments...it's not worth it, but it keeps me in the water and that tide box off the window sill....although that would be a good way to earn more scuba bucks....But then again, she said she would keep all my gear if we ever got divorced as punishment, lol...
Her inverstment in my habit: 2,900 for a complete set! Good for cold-water recreational diving. I bought my drysuit used and built my own can light, bp/w setup was a demo (but I did most of the demoing on it), won my backup light in a pumpkin carving contest, other was a gift, dad gave me an "out-dated" digital camara from his old job, my regs came with a free octo, my computer came with a free download kit if I got a Dan membership, so all in all, it would be over 5k to replace. If anyone wants to try and come get it from me, I live in Fort Yukon, Alaska now. :mooner:

I've spent around £2k (4K USD) since taking up diving just over a year ago.

Remember... it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission :wink:

John

Enough to have bought a cheap airplane if I add it all up. Gads! It already consumes the right half of the garage.

Current set up is relative as I have 4+ and use them all depending on the condtions and type of diving I'm doing. Most of the people I dive with don't have just one setup. We dive year round. So for me 12K is about right on gear. Throw in another 3-4 for course, insurance, dues, etc.

Current set up is relative as I have 4+ and use them all depending on the condtions and type of diving I'm doing. Most of the people I dive with don't have just one setup. We dive year round. So for me 12K is about right on gear. Throw in another 3-4 for course, insurance, dues, etc.

Oh, so now were adding cert costs? :rofl3:

I got the wife and I geared up for cold water for $5000. 2 tanks, 2 drysuits, a nice light, a cheap camera, fins etc. I bought used where it made sense and put the savings towards luxuries like a camera and nice light.

Now I don't have the wife anymore, but I still have my half of the gear. :)

I'm pretty much done spending except for air and maintenance. At least until I decide I need a new suit. That will be $1500, but offset by selling the old one.

If my interests move beyond rec diving, well, that's another story. (But I am so far quite satisfied staying far away from tech diving and I don't expect that to change.)

Back
Top Bottom