How much has equipment changed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SilverS2k

Registered
Reaction score
Gaithersburg, Maryland/ Godwin, North Carolina
I was certified back in 2002 and my uncle gave me all of his equipment, which I was told was top of the line back then. I havent done a dive in a few years and I plan to get back into it. My question is, should I concern myself with getting new equipment or will the stuff that I have now be sufficient. The way I look at it is this, if it kept me alive back then why wont it keep me alive now. Obviously I would have everything looked over by a proffessional to make sure it is in working order. And I dont plan on doing anything extreme just the occasional open water dive.

I was certified back in 2002 and my uncle gave me all of his equipment, which I was told was top of the line back then. I havent done a dive in a few years and I plan to get back into it. My question is, should I concern myself with getting new equipment or will the stuff that I have now be sufficient. The way I look at it is this, if it kept me alive back then why wont it keep me alive now. Obviously I would have everything looked over by a proffessional to make sure it is in working order. And I dont plan on doing anything extreme just the occasional open water dive.

One word of caution: If that professional tells you your gear needs to be updated, consider the idea that he may just see the opportunity to make a nice profitable sale rather than a smaller service charge. Most of my regulators are 20 to 35 years old and they work as good or better than their modern plastic counterparts.

I agree with Awap.

I own some new high performance plastic regulators, but personally I really never dive with any regulator newer that about 35 years, some much older.

Unless there is something broke that you can't get repaired, then it's fine. Like the rest, my gear has got some age on it but I see no reason to replace it as long as I can get service parts. It works as good today as it did new out of the box and some much better than when it was new. I would be wary of any shop that suggest your gear is not good enough to dive strickly on the basis of age. There may or may not be better preforming equipment depending on models but really not much has changed since 2002.

As long as the gear is still serviceable and there hasn't been any equipment recalls by the manufacturer it should be good.
I do suggest having the regulator serviced before using it especially if it has not been used for a prolonged period of time.

A decision to upgrade your gear should be based on the following:
1. If you are planning specialized dives in which your current gear was not designed. Technical diving for example.
2. Does the gear still fit physically.
3. If the manufacturer still makes parts to service the equipment
4. If you have received 3 or more tickets from the scuba fashion police.

P.S. I am a diving professional

As long as the gear is still serviceable and there hasn't been any equipment recalls by the manufacturer it should be good.
I do suggest having the regulator serviced before using it especially if it has not been used for a prolonged period of time.

A decision to upgrade your gear should be based on the following:
1. If you are planning specialized dives in which your current gear was not designed. Technical diving for example.
2. Does the gear still fit physically.
3. If the manufacturer still makes parts to service the equipment
4. If you have received 3 or more tickets from the scuba fashion police.

P.S. I am a diving professional

I agree totally with the above, and I also am a dive professional. My suggestion besides getting the equipment serviced and otherwise checked over is to take it in a pool and take a refresher course with it. Just because equipment isn't the latest slam bang nuclear powered dive widget that came out 5 minutes ago, doesn't mean it isn't excellent equipment. My personal secondary regulator is over 20 years old and works great. I got a newer model simply because I wanted to - I didn't HAVE to. Check around on the Board and you will see numerous posts of things like BCD's, masks, fins that are between 10 - 20 years old and still going strong. As long as your equipment is checked over by a qualified technician and pronounced safe, go enjoy it!
Safe Diving,
George

It is a good thing scuba gear is not like computers or digital cameras where in what is current today is basically marketed as obsolete in six months when they market the next models. Electronics and tech stuff are basically future trash.

Not so with scuba gear. If you intend to use it in exactly the same way you were using it before then I see no reason why it will not be up to the task. But if you intend to do different things, I agree with Visibilityunlimited.

Newer gear might have some "nice" features but they may not be necessary. I think even dive computers have not changed so much over the last decade.

Have your stuff checked out and maybe check on the models recall and parts availability also. This will give you some idea if you can count on using this gear for the years to come.

I agree with all of the above.
I'm diving gear that's over 30 years old also and would not give it up unless I had to (wife demanded it). My computer is a Monitor II and "I" think it's better then a lot of the new fangled, make your coffee in the morning, modern whacha-ma-call-it computers now days. I like the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid. If you like the gear and it's in good shape... let's go diving!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom