How much has equipment changed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

............................. Check around on the Board and you will see numerous posts of things like BCD's, masks, fins that are between 10 - 20 years old and still going strong. As long as your equipment is checked over by a qualified technician and pronounced safe, go enjoy it!
Safe Diving,
George

20yo regs are still newbies. :)
At least 2 of the other posters and myself (plus a bunch more on the board I know of) dive regs over 40 yrs old, my latest one which will soon be back diving is 50 yrs old. Good gear never dies, it just keeps blowing bubbles.

Newer is not always better. Human bodies haven't changed in a few years (except for me gettin' fatter...), so a good reg then will be a good reg now. I've rebuilt some sweet breathers that were 15+ years old.

20yo regs are still newbies. :)
At least 2 of the other posters and myself (plus a bunch more on the board I know of) dive regs over 40 yrs old, my latest one which will soon be back diving is 50 yrs old. Good gear never dies, it just keeps blowing bubbles.

Heck, mine just got it's first set of teeth in last week! :D I actually have my origional Double Hose regulator, and it not only works, but it's still serviceable and I still dive with it.

Newer is not always better. Human bodies haven't changed in a few years (except for me gettin' fatter...), so a good reg then will be a good reg now. I've rebuilt some sweet breathers that were 15+ years old.

Getting fatter simply means you are transforming into a marine mammal. Did you ever see a skinny whale? :D

I actually have my origional Double Hose regulator, and it not only works, but it's still serviceable and I still dive with it.

I also have my original Royal Aqua Master double hose with original hoses and mouthpiece which are in great shape. But I did replace the diaphragm and mouthpiece valves because the new reproduction silicone ones perform a lot better. The original diaphragm is in good shape, but the silicone one drops the inhalation resistance over ½ inWC.

I have had that regulator since 1971 and I dive it regularly.

The geometry of some of the equipment like BC have changed through the years (and also the migration from double hose regulator to single hose), but even the mechanical parts on many regulators have not changed much or any during the last few decades. For example the latest Aqualung regulators are still using many of the same parts as in the Royal Aqua Master, which was introduced in 1965. All the moving parts in the first stage of the RAM are the same as in the Conshelf, the Titan, and most other present day Aqualung regulators.

If you look at most regulators in production today, they are basically all copies of regulators that have been around since at least the late 70’s or early 80’s.

The geometry of some of the equipment like BC have changed through the years (and also the migration from double hose regulator to single hose), but even the mechanical parts on many regulators have not changed much or any during the last few decades. For example the latest Aqualung regulators are still using many of the same parts as in the Royal Aqua Master, which was introduced in 1965. All the moving parts in the first stage of the RAM are the same as in the Conshelf, the Titan, and most other present day Aqualung regulators.

If you look at most regulators in production today, they are basically all copies of regulators that have been around since at least the late 70’s or early 80’s.[/QUOTE]

SHHHHH, you'll break the manufacturer's hearts if this secret gets out! :D The reality is that you are totally right! Not to mention that many of today's top manufacturers actually buy their equipment from 3rd party OEMs and just slap their label on it. They may add some of their own specs to them, but generally they are not manufactured by the major companies. Many people are suprised to hear this also.

Save Diving,
George

I agree with Awap.

I own some new high performance plastic regulators, but personally I really never dive with any regulator newer that about 35 years, some much older.

I second the motion.

Having just returned to diving last year, I'd recommend the following:

1. have regs serviced, because o-rings and the like may have rotted in storage
2. check BCs for leaks
3. for wet suits, try them on at least *twice* as the neoprene may have deteriorated
4. consider a refresher, because while the gear may be in great shape, what kind of shape are *you* in, training wise?

At a bare minimum, at least a few pool dives.

3. for wet suits, try them on at least *twice* as the neoprene may have deteriorated

And neoprene does shrink...and we...well, we don't. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom