How much fill do you get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlndavid

私は寿司およびアジア女性を食べるã
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had my new PST E7-100's filled when I purchased them. The shop said they gave them a "good" fill. When I checked them a few days later they were at 3200 psi, but they are rated for 3400 or so psi. Is this normal?

It's hard to get a "good" fill...I've run into that problem several times. Some places have slightly inept people and they will fill tanks too fast. Although the guage read 3400 when they finish the tanks are so hot you can fry an egg on them, so when they cool of course you lose pressure. Was Lake diving Tuesday and got an onsite fill to "3400" by the time I got in the water tanks were only 3000psi. Most people/places don't want to take the time to slow fill tanks so you do get a good fill. At one of my LDS I did see a sticker/thermometer that you put on the neck of your tank that shows psi adjusted for temp, can't remember the name of the item (I'll check and post it soon) My dive buddy and I were thinking of getting a few for our tanks so we don't get short filled.

It is a big con for the HP steel tank holders. It used to take a long time to get the right fill at tht site with many excuses, such as, long line for air refill, charge more over 3000 psi, leave the tanks at the shop, top up the remaining fill later, etc......

Even though you are doing a very slow refill, you have to fill around 3700 psi to see a right 3445 psi at the dive site. Otherwise, you have to stop by air station again to top up the remaining fill. For the practical wise, it doesn' happen that much to me because the travel cost is much higher (Time and gasoline). Yes, it is a big hassle....

dlndavid:
I had my new PST E7-100's filled when I purchased them. The shop said they gave them a "good" fill. When I checked them a few days later they were at 3200 psi, but they are rated for 3400 or so psi. Is this normal?

I've had good luck getting a good fill on my E-7 at MBDC - especially when I leave the tank overnight.

I've only been once, but I've not had as good luck with California Dive Center. I left my tank overnight and it only had 3100 psi when I picked it up (not to mention being 2% off the mix I requested).

Lately every tank I've rented has read 3200-3300 PSI in the store, and by the time I get it to the dive site it reads 3000. Granted I'm not checking the tank with MY reg set, however I'm guessing they cool down and the pressure drops.

I would think on a 3400 psi tank, they could fill to 3600 if they don't bother to keep it cool, and it would drop about 200 psi. Overfilling by 200 psi is not going to give the tank problems as I believe the hydo's run 5000psi for a 3000psi tank.

I have trained my LDS to give me full fills. It was a hassle, and they still give me a hard time about it (but in fun).
Whenever I was going to make a single dive, I'd drop my second tank off for a "top-off". Of course, all it was, was the tank they'd filled already - 200psi low.
Then, I stated dropping the tanks off the same day for a "top-off".
Then, I drove around the block, brought the tank back in and asked for a top off.

It was getting better, but after some time, I was getting low fills again. So, then next time I went in, I told them about some dive equiptment I'd just bought at their competetor.

"Whatja' buy it from them for??" they asked, amazed at my lack of loyality.

"I had to stop in to get my tank topped off."

Now I get full fills. When my wife picks up my tanks, they put on a gauge and make her verify that they'er cool and full.

dlndavid:

All I can sugest is have your LDS put your tanks in water as they are filling it. My LDS shop has a Water tub but unless you ask them to put it in the water they just fill it on the floor. I usually get 2800 if they fill them on the floor and I have a AL80 with 3000.

Hmm.. we buy our nitrox by the cubic foot. Maybe that's why our E7-100's routinely have 3800 psi cool. But I understand South Florida does things differently in this regard.

When I leave my dive shop, my 130s generally have ~ 3500 psi. Depending on the weather, they will cool to anywhere from 3200-3400 and I'm happy with it.

I make some labels and put RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE VALVE!!!

"FILL: 3500 psi COLD"

I'm fortunate that I go by my LDS everyday going to and coming back from work.
I normally leave them overnight and check the pressure before I leave the shop. If they're not at 3500, I have the LDS top them off.

They're starting to get the idea . . .

the K

Back
Top Bottom