How much fill do you get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redrover:
One thing – for me at least – If I don’t turn on the valve all the way as if I was going to dive with it, I will get a lower read.
That seems a bit strange. Just to pressurize the hoses, you should only have to crack the valve. I found when practicing breathing while feathering the valve, it only takes a quarter to half a turn for there to be sufficient flow at 60 fsw. Maybe not all valves work the same way.

Daryl Morse:
That seems a bit strange. Just to pressurize the hoses, you should only have to crack the valve. I found when practicing breathing while feathering the valve, it only takes a quarter to half a turn for there to be sufficient flow at 60 fsw. Maybe not all valves work the same way.
It could be that the computer only takes a reading every 2-5 seconds... so the amount of time between 1/4 turn and all the way on could be that delay.

Daryl Morse:
I’m a geek but, that’s what I thought, Atomic B2. Could it be because it is a piston valve?

1) I’m a new diver with new gear purchased in rapid succession, it certainly could be me being so inexperienced. Had the tank valves tested and are good. I have been having computer problems and currently using both #3 and #4 trying to see if it’s me or the computer. Only 4 dives with both so far. Dive #1: #4 whacky, #3(w/changed battery)less. Dive #2: both wacky. Dive #3 today: both hunky dory. Hal if I know.

2) Bought tanks and wasn’t checking until setting up to dive and the first two times out with them having low fills (or 4 tanks low at begin dive). Made a bit of a fuss with the shops (2 diffrent ones). Wasn’t sure what was acceptable variance, but one at 2400 seemed way to low, so checked the next 2 tanks before heading out from fill the night before, air temp is pretty consistent here. One read 2600 and the other 2700psi and really cranky I hauled them right back to the shop before diving. Danged if their gauge didn’t read 3100+. I check with full on now and since that embarrassment, computer reads 3100+.

3) Computer is Atom set to sample 15 sec. If you haven’t used one…it doesn’t show tank pressure on main screen, you have to access the pressure….I sure hope this does not set off the ‘why computers are devil spawn’ posters...and when dry it first goes to battery status then transmitter link before pressure then goes back to main screen. So to check the pressure I just tweaked the valve on one turn, held the computer in position to receive and thru the screens to pressure, twice, with same (I’ve rounded) value. And now, I turn the valve all the way on, do the same thing and it shows a full tank.

I did do the ‘not turn it on all the way and descend’ thing once. Checked and it registered full, breathed fine on check, thru giant step entry and clear from shore. I went to my snorkel and swam out a ways. Breathed fine as usual descending until noticed it breathed a bit harder every 3 breaths or so at 30’ and Atom screamed OUT OF AIR, a bit discerning. I looked for bubbles figuring I didn’t put it on right, nope. Breathing was ok, just noticeably harder. Yes the flo valve was open full. Wait, says full…cripes am I narced at 30’ or just hallucinating for no reason? OUT…full…OUT….full... I headed back up and breathing was fine again by 15’, computer still back and forth - out to full. Then Duh! I think I slapped my head; is it on all the way? Nope, I’d done the check my transmitter with one turn, had 3000+ and neglected to pay adequate attention to detail. (Fixing was a nice multitasking opportunity, tried very hard to kick myself at the same time.
04.gif
)

redrover:
I’m a geek but, that’s what I thought, Atomic B2. Could it be because it is a piston valve?

1) I’m a new diver with new gear purchased in rapid succession, it certainly could be me being so inexperienced. Had the tank valves tested and are good. I have been having computer problems and currently using both #3 and #4 trying to see if it’s me or the computer. Only 4 dives with both so far. Dive #1: #4 whacky, #3(w/changed battery)less. Dive #2: both wacky. Dive #3 today: both hunky dory. Hal if I know.

2) Bought tanks and wasn’t checking until setting up to dive and the first two times out with them having low fills (or 4 tanks low at begin dive). Made a bit of a fuss with the shops (2 diffrent ones). Wasn’t sure what was acceptable variance, but one at 2400 seemed way to low, so checked the next 2 tanks before heading out from fill the night before, air temp is pretty consistent here. One read 2600 and the other 2700psi and really cranky I hauled them right back to the shop before diving. Danged if their gauge didn’t read 3100+. I check with full on now and since that embarrassment, computer reads 3100+.

3) Computer is Atom set to sample 15 sec. If you haven’t used one…it doesn’t show tank pressure on main screen, you have to access the pressure….I sure hope this does not set off the ‘why computers are devil spawn’ posters...and when dry it first goes to battery status then transmitter link before pressure then goes back to main screen. So to check the pressure I just tweaked the valve on one turn, held the computer in position to receive and thru the screens to pressure, twice, with same (I’ve rounded) value. And now, I turn the valve all the way on, do the same thing and it shows a full tank.

I did do the ‘not turn it on all the way and descend’ thing once. Checked and it registered full, breathed fine on check, thru giant step entry and clear from shore. I went to my snorkel and swam out a ways. Breathed fine as usual descending until noticed it breathed a bit harder every 3 breaths or so at 30’ and Atom screamed OUT OF AIR, a bit discerning. I looked for bubbles figuring I didn’t put it on right, nope. Breathing was ok, just noticeably harder. Yes the flo valve was open full. Wait, says full…cripes am I narced at 30’ or just hallucinating for no reason? OUT…full…OUT….full... I headed back up and breathing was fine again by 15’, computer still back and forth - out to full. Then Duh! I think I slapped my head; is it on all the way? Nope, I’d done the check my transmitter with one turn, had 3000+ and neglected to pay adequate attention to detail. (Fixing was a nice multitasking opportunity, tried very hard to kick myself at the same time.
04.gif
)
I didn't realize you were using a hoseless AI computer to read the pressure. The strange behaviour you're reporting must be related to the computer and/or the pressure transducer. You should raise this in the computers forum to see if others with the Atom experience the same behaviour. The only AI computer I've used was a Cobra which uses a hose. There was no delay for it to provide pressure.

I won't be the one to start a pissing match about hoseless AI, because I think it's an interesting idea, but based on your experience, I'd be looking for a backup mechanical SPG.

Daryl Morse:
I didn't realize you were using a hoseless AI computer to read the pressure. The strange behaviour you're reporting must be related to the computer and/or the pressure transducer. You should raise this in the computers forum to see if others with the Atom experience the same behaviour. The only AI computer I've used was a Cobra which uses a hose. There was no delay for it to provide pressure.

I won't be the one to start a pissing match about hoseless AI, because I think it's an interesting idea, but based on your experience, I'd be looking for a backup mechanical SPG.
My Cobra has a couple second delay... not long, but I have an SPG hooked up, too, so I know what the real pressure is, and it takes the Cobra a 1-2 seconds to register it correctly when first pressurizing the system.

jonnythan:
An HP120 would have a DIN valve, not a yoke.
An HP120 such as the PST E8-119 or E7-120 could certainly have a yoke valve attached. My E8-119 from FillExpress comes with a DIN/Yoke convertable valve. Now, if you aren't meaning PST's 3442psi@70F service pressure, then let us know the specifics.

I've had fills that were as much as 3700psi at the dive site, in the water coming from FillExpress. I've also had fills that were only 3000 after having the discussion with the fill operator about the service pressure of the tanks. The PST gavanized coating makes the stamped information harder to read so I often point it out. Of course, I've also had the fills that cooled to 2600 (and I don't think it was from the operator thinking it was an LP tank).

The only nice thing is that my short fills are still likely to be more gas than a "good" fill on someone's AL80.

-Rob

rab:
An HP120 such as the PST E8-119 or E7-120 could certainly have a yoke valve attached. My E8-119 from FillExpress comes with a DIN/Yoke convertable valve. Now, if you aren't meaning PST's 3442psi@70F service pressure, then let us know the specifics.
Just to note, HP120s are different tanks from the E-series tanks. The HP120s have different tank threads and can only be used with DIN valves.

The E-series tanks have I think 3/4-14 threads and have a service pressure of 3442 psi while the HP series tanks (older) use 7/8" threads and have a service pressure of 3500 psi.

Doc Intrepid:
Had the same problem. Solved it this way. Sat down with the owner of the shop, and said "if I sign up for your blender courses, how 'bout you let me fill my own tanks?" I'd spent quite a bit of money with in his shop, and had taken trimix and some cave courses there, so he knew me pretty well. He agreed. I fill my own now, and - as some have noted - you pay for it with your time...it takes quite a bit of time to get it right for multiple

I fixed it buy buying LP steel tanks.

2640 every time. :cool:

Terry

Back
Top Bottom