How much do you tip your cozumel dive master?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were in Cozumel last week off a cruise ship. 1 two tank dive. They set up all our gear but more importantly the DM was quite helpful above and below the surface with my inexperienced girlfriend who was having trouble with the weighting on her steel 120s provided by Aldora divers. Although he probably erred by pulling off her weight belt and putting a few lbs on top of the tank, which had her struggling to remain belly down...he was quite attentive to all of our needs and she did great on the second dive thanks to his suggestions.

He got $20 from me for both of us and I threw in another $10 for Dad, sis threw in $20 for herself and another diver from our group threw in $10 for herself.

Sometimes I don't even tip if I get on a dive boat, do my own thing, and do not ask for nor receive assistance from any of the crew. Especially if the Captain is the owner of the boat and the crew is less than helpful.

It's a job, tipping is not mandatory

I tip $5 per tank, so $10 if its just me, $20 if it is my wife and I. I also make it somewhat obvious when I do, so everyone else on the boat realizes it is good manners to tip. Also, some folks, like me, simply forget sometimes. I tip each day in case the crew changes through the week.

Do you usually tip each day or all on the last day of your diving?

Each day - even with same op your crew may change each day.

$5 per tank at a minimum. I personally like to try to tip to the level of service, but in Coz the service is so good it's hard to keep up. If they've made your vacation special, try to make their day special!:D

Wow lots of good info! So basically If i tip the crew $75-$80 for 5 days of diving then that should be ok.
From what the vast majority is saying here, a typical tip in Cozumel for 5 days of 2 tanks diving for 2 persons would be more like USD100. But of course that is up to you. And shoud reflect how satisfied you were with the DM and captain.

We typically tip 200 pesos each per day when the service is as expected, but have tipped less when it was warranted.

We tip at the end of the day, you may not have the same crew each day. Even if we had the same crew I would tip daily.

$5 per tank per day... I usually calculate the tips long before I leave and set aside in my camera bag baggies with the tip money... If I start a month before the trip I have collected enough $10s and $5s for the tips without knocking a chunk out of my cerveza budget.

usually tip between 150-200 depending on what is in my pocket. also if some of us are going to lunch after the dive i sometimes invite dm to join us and pick up his bill.

$5 per tank per day... I usually calculate the tips long before I leave and set aside in my camera bag baggies with the tip money... If I start a month before the trip I have collected enough $10s and $5s for the tips without knocking a chunk out of my cerveza budget.

That is a good idea, you do not want to run out beer money when you are on vacation.

A cold beer looking out over the ocean the second best part about Cozumel. And with the snow in Wisconsin now I can not wait to be down there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom